Menu
geewalt1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

HELP - ASUS router RT-AX82U great 5ghz signal but rubbish 2.4ghz signal

I recently bought the ASUS RT-AX82U router and have a fantastic signal with the 5ghz but the 2.4ghz signal is constantly dropping throughout the day.

I've contacted ASUS support and shared my Wireless log and they indicated it is due to wireless  interference.  They suggested changing channels and the channel bandwidth to 20Mhz.  I've tried all this and I still experience multiple drops of signal throughout the day.  Every time I change the channel/reboot/restart the router the 2.4ghz signal works again but this can range from only a couple of mins to a few hours but it will eventually drop again.  

I've used a wifi analyzer on both my phone and pc and both indicate the signal strength ranges from -20dbm to -67dBm, depending how far I am from the router.  There are no other wireless devices next to the router to create interference.  I also log into channels when there are no other wifi networks connected to that channel but again this makes little difference.

I'm connected to the Router via the Virgin superhub3 and this is set to Modem mode.  

I have tried multiple restarts with both the Modem and Router but the 2.4 still plays up.  Like I said the 5ghz signal works a treat.

Reading other forums I've tired a Guest network, disabled the WIFI 6 mode under the 2.4 signal but again none of these have made a difference.

If I revert back to the Superhub3 both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals work ok but the 5ghz doesn't reach my son's bedroom or provide a strong enough signal to the back of the house.  This is one of the reasons why I bought the router to help boost the signal and the Asus router definitely achieved that on the 5ghz signal.

Has anyone got any suggestions at what I can do to avoid the constant dropping of the 2.4ghz signal?

Thanks in advance.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP - ASUS router RT-AX82U great 5ghz signal but rubbish 2.4ghz signal

Try another router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On your Wi-Fi analyser can you see any other Wi-Fi networks overlapping you 2.4GHz broadcast ?

As you see on mine (5GHz shown) there are two pink 'foreign broadcasts' with similar strengths that are interfering with each other, do you get anything similar ?

wifi-analyser-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
geewalt1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Virgin image.jpg

This is the current picture.  The Guest/Getorfmyland signals are mine.  Even if I switch off the Guest/2GEXT my signal still drops.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You’ll need to change some of the “Professional” Wifi settings on the 2.4Ghz band as they are not compatible with some devices.

Mine is set like this and I have no drops:

gary_dexter_3-1609351342397.png

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
geewalt1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Cheers. Updated a few to mirror your settings. Let's see if this works.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I would also avoid using special characters in SSID’s especially full stops.

Also some older 2.4Ghz b/g devices have issues with SSID’s and (sometimes) passwords that are more than 8 characters long.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
geewalt1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Although the 2.4ghz devices connect it's the signal for the download speed that drops to more or less zero regularly throughout the day. So will the SSID address help resolve this?

The 5ghz signal is spot on and the signal is always hitting the 350 mark or slightly less, depending upon on how far I'm from the router.

It's so frustrating for my son as his PS4 only uses the 2.4ghz signal and the download speed constantly drops.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

See how it behaves after doing those changes.

The ASUS should reboot itself after applying the changes however it’s worthwhile giving it a manual kick as well.

Have you also set a fixed 2.4Ghz channel (1, 6 or 11) and setting the bandwidth to 20Mhz not 40Mhz or 20/40Mhz?

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Put as many devices as possible onto 5GHz or ethernet connections.

It is a pity that you can't block those foreign broadcasts.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.