Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Google nest wifi router question

Hi, I am looking at purchasing Google's router to try and improve the wifi in my home. My question is I have my Xbox, NAS Drive and TV all connected via ethernet to the Hub 3 and I've heard that you can't have wired connections if your using the hub 3 in Modem mode  is this true?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Google nest wifi router question

Hi there my name is Chris Bithell I am a virgin media technician

When in modem modem, only ethernet port 1 will be active.

You could always not put into modem mode to keep all 4 ethernet ports active but login and disable the wifi from broadcasting.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Contrary for the above - you need to run it in Modem Mode so the primary Google Node runs as a router.

Dependinf how many Ethernet ports the Google device has you’ll need to invest in a desktop switch 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadcast mode? Could you please explain a little more please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadcast mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

With the hub in modem mode, you will have one ethernet cable connecting to your Google device to provide you with your internet connection, All the previous connections into the hub now have to made to the google device which I believe only has two ethernet ports therefore you will need to connect an inexpensive switch to the Google device for the rest of your wired connected devices.

I am also looking at the Google nest wifi for my home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Question to the group -

If only one ethernet connection can be active when in modem mode, does the Hub randomly choose which one that will be? 

Just curious, because I have a router and a Google ChromeCast plugged into the Hub which is now in modem mode, and it seems like the router at least is working...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@CaptainSchnell wrote:

Question to the group -

If only one ethernet connection can be active when in modem mode, does the Hub randomly choose which one that will be? 

Just curious, because I have a router and a Google ChromeCast plugged into the Hub which is now in modem mode, and it seems like the router at least is working...

Only one will work. The Chromecast needs to be connected to the nest router.