cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest and virgin modem

Sabchat
Joining in

Hi I am using Google Nest pro which connects to the Virgin Router. I have also run an Ethernet Cable which connects my office at the loft. I have attached the Ethernet cable to the Google NEST router sitting next to the Virgin router. If I try to plug in the Ethernet cable to the main virgin router, the Google nest which is plugged on an adjacent port in the virgin router loses internet connection. I have this issue while running the virgin router both in modem and router mode (not that the latter matters). 

Do any of you know why the Google nest loses internet connection when Ethernet is plugged in to the virgin router? I have Hub 3.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can we clarify your set up... if the Hub3 is in normal router mode - the Nest should connect fine on ethernet when the Nest is set to be in wifi point mode (or whatever Google call it) on an ethernet cable to any port on the Hub. And other Hub ports are similarly active

But, if your Hub is in modem mode - then the Nest has to be set to be the router (or use some other router) and it will work as that when connected to any port of the Hub3 - and all other ports on the Hub are inactivated.  Other ethernet connections to your devices then must derive from connecting the ethernet cables to the Nest (or whatever other router you are using).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can we clarify your set up... if the Hub3 is in normal router mode - the Nest should connect fine on ethernet when the Nest is set to be in wifi point mode (or whatever Google call it) on an ethernet cable to any port on the Hub. And other Hub ports are similarly active

But, if your Hub is in modem mode - then the Nest has to be set to be the router (or use some other router) and it will work as that when connected to any port of the Hub3 - and all other ports on the Hub are inactivated.  Other ethernet connections to your devices then must derive from connecting the ethernet cables to the Nest (or whatever other router you are using).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, many thanks for your reply and really appreciate it. You are correct in your second paragraph - I am using the Virgin Hub as a Modem (red light on always) and hence I get it that NEST has to be the router and Ethernet should be connected to the NEST and not to Hub. However, I have also tried using the Hub in normal Router mode and still the same phenomenon happens I.e., NEST loses internet if I plug the Ethernet to Hub. It is as if NEST wants to be the boss.

In any case my network is running well now with Hub as the Modem and Ethernet to my office coming out of NEST. The only thing is sometimes the speed is not consistent in the computer connected to Ethernet - for example in the morning I get 90Mbps (which is good enough, don’t get me wrong) but in late afternoon or evening it would shoot upto 300 Mbps (I have 400Mbps as max speed). No complaints but I just feel may be if I can find a way to connect the Ethernet to the Hub, the speed will be more consistent. May be I am asking too much 🙂

thanks much for your time. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

one thing to do is get new Cat6a cables.  If there is a bad connection on one of the 8 wires/connector  the cables default to transmitting at a max of <100 - if it reconnects it will go back to 1GB

--------------------
John
--------------------