Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Google Nest & DMZ for Hub 3.0

TL;DR - how do I enable DMZ on my Hub 3.0 which is in modem mode?

Full story (in case I need a different diagnosis!): 

I have the Hub 3.0 in a large flat that goes around a corner. When we moved in, I recognised that there was an internet black spot, so I bought a couple of Google WiFi points to create a mesh, with one connected directly to the router. I'm not tecchy so I probably overpaid for the brand, but that's taking us off topic... 

Worked well for ages, but then the internet started getting dodgy again in the room at the edge of the property, so I added another point to the mesh. The original WiFi points were no longer being sold, so I bought the new Google Nest router (now connected to the modem) and moved the other points around the flat.

Worked well for a while, and then - boom - dodgy again. So I: 

• Upgraded to Virgin's M350 package - great in the room right next to the router, but still getting speeds closer to 100 everywhere else...
  • Went through help process with Google, who reset my DNS settings and ran a diagnosis which said a firewall on the Virgin router might be creating tension between it and the Google Nest. They said I should ask Virgin to enable DMZ on the modem or at least relax the firewall
  • Guess what, nobody at the call centre is trained in this, they can't help me, and the official line is that Virgin "doesn't support third party routers" 
  • I can't find any way to update this in self-service when I type in my modem's IP

Screaming into the void at this point. Can anyone help? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google Nest & DMZ for Hub 3.0

Small correction: 

• Went through help process with Google, who reset my DNS settings and ran a diagnosis which said a firewall on the Virgin **modem** might be creating tension between it and the Google Nest. They said I should ask Virgin to enable DMZ on the modem or at least relax the firewall
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

wouldn't enable anything on the hub, the hub is in modem mode, so it is just that, a modem.
all routing functions are handled by your nest router, including and DMZ.

there is also no firewall function in place when in modem mode.
are you sure you have the hub in modem mode?

the IP of the hub will be 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode. if it's anything other than that then you still have it in router mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

wouldn't enable anything on the hub, the hub is in modem mode, so it is just that, a modem.
all routing functions are handled by your nest router, including and DMZ.

there is also no firewall function in place when in modem mode.
are you sure you have the hub in modem mode?

the IP of the hub will be 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode. if it's anything other than that then you still have it in router mode.

192.168.100.1 is also accessible in Router Mode, too

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are the Google Nests you have compatible, being from different generations?

I know you say they “did” work but Google may have released a firmware update that broke this backwards compatibility.

EDIT: this is likely the issue https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Google-nest-wifi-router-question/m-p/447096...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! 

That's now sorted.. but yeah, you're right, they are from different generations and I do have my suspicions about this being an issue. 

Re: the DMZ stuff. It's definitely in modem mode, it might just be that the advice I got is irrelevant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

when the hub is on modem mode only 1 ethernet port will work, and that port should be connected to your router - in this case the nest. all other devices need to be connected to your nest, be it ethernet or wifi.

the hub in modem mode has no routing functions at all, it simply passes the internet connection straight to your router.

be sure you are not running 2 routers, the new nest and the old nest (you said you moved those around - 1 of them must have been running as a router previously).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good thought, I will investigate. I did factory reset them but I should double check!

0 Kudos