Menu
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Good 500mb connection to hub but not to devices with disconnections

Hello

Equipment i had for over 2 years; Hub3 in modem mode, Netgear X6 R8000 and Linksys Velop Mesh

Last week I upgraded to 500mb and for 2 days struggling to get more than 270mb. Before I had no problems with the above mentioned hardware at 200mb connection. PC got just under 200 on wifi, 214 on hardwired.

I spent 1.5hours on the chat and only thing i was told was reset the router, i kept telling them about my problem but then still said now reboot router, so reset and 2 reboots later in a near 1 hour chat we got to point where they said nothing wrong with my router and I need to either pay 99quid for engineer to come out or 99 for new HUB, they also tried to sell me on virgins mesh thing. i keep telling them theres something wrong with router. I want to use my router I don't want pay for their router, I just upgraded so either give me a new router or get me a fix. 

I felt like i was flogged off, especially when she said she would log the dispute with no real help or any steps beyond reset and reboot. Then i got a email about my complaint resolution being agreed on for an Apology….i never got one and would not agree to that and they closed the complaint.

Hub 3 in modem mode and Netgear i get slow 280mb connection but stable. With Hub3 in router mode full 500+mb speed but connection to devices are unstable even hardwired.

So Linksys Mesh network hardwired to router (used for better connection to front of house)

Roughly 21 to 23 devices always connected mix of wifi and hardwired but wifi off the mesh network. 

I rebooted Netgear X6 router and Virgin Hub 3. Hub 3 is in modem mode. Had 200mb and no problems with connection or signal quality from this setup.

Using the Netgear router with Hub3 in modem mode max throughput was 270 to 280mb from 500mb line. 

Tried changing signal channel, repositioning the antenna, disabling all but testing device, and further reboot. 

I removed the Netgear router and changed the Hub 3 to Router mode, I finally had 500+mb hardwired to the PC.

Problems; hardwired and connection is unstable and PC reports Unidentified network or No internet. PC was giving static IP.  A diagnosis of the Network finds no gateway or no IP given to the device on hardwired connection. A reboot of the PC fixes this. 

Wireless; the devices report no internet or cant see the SSID sometimes. In this case the wifi on the devices needs to be cycled to reconnect the devices. In the cases of devices that dont store the password is more of a problem especially if kids are watching the TV.

Virgin support chat didnt help at all so I hope I can get some advice here.

Thank You

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good 500mb connection to hub but not to devices with disconnections

So the Netgear is the bottleneck then 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It is in a way. File transfer hasn't been a problem but never looked at it as was fast. Mostly used for streaming over the house. Never had a problem with speed as faster connection than the virgin 200mb provided. 

It is on the newest fw from netgear I tried to keep away from that but had to upgrade. Maybe next step is DD-WRT since virgin won't help? But don't want to brick it as never done. 

As for the Hub 3 and its connections no idea.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Well we know it works with the Hub3 directly as you got the full 500Mbps connection.

Is QOS enabled on the Netgear? Or Traffic Metering/Monitoring?

These are known to slow the speeds down so best to disable them.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I don’t know the Linksys Velop Mesh, but does it have router and bridge mode? If so in your setup it should be in bridge mode. If it has router mode and a RJ45 socket to connect further devices, perhaps you could try this. Put mesh in router mode, put Netgear router in bridge mode, connect mesh to VM hub, connect Netgear to mesh.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Why are you using 2 Routers?  I would just try using the Mesh and not bother with the Netgear and see how that all pans out. If the wifi coverage is a bit iffy, then add another node to the Mesh.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi

QOS was enabled and didnt think about checking it as never had a problem. Hub 3 works but sometimes to the devices. The PC is currently directly connected with a cat5e cable. The internet disconnects and reports no internet. i run a diagnose and windows states "Ethernet doesnt have a vaild IP configuration" and " The defualt gateway is not available" 

Before i introduce the Netgear router again I want a stable Hub 3 hardwired and on wifi.

0 Kudos
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thats a good idea, see if there is throttling on the mesh device like the Netgear. I ran the Hub in modem mode to Netgear then to the mesh.

Edit: Just remembered that Netgear to Linksys only connects at 100mb and never found out why, used cat5e cable and its has 1Gbps connection. I didnt really care too much for the mesh speed as it used to connect the Ring, google hub, phones in bedroom so 100mb was enough.

0 Kudos
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Like i said before the Hub connects to the Netgear with the settings  and control i want over my network where the Linksys is limited. Then Netgear to Linkys mesh which is in Bridge mode. Basically my house is extended and and the Netgear has to transmit though and fully tiled bathroom then external brick wall to reach the front of the house and it struggles so I have 3 mesh nodes network that is placed around the barriers. 

My last resort is drilling externally and running external cat 6 cable but even hardwired PC connection isnt stable. 

0 Kudos
Soltakr83
Tuning in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good 500mb connection to hub but not to devices with disconnections (No Ranging Responce Received)

Hello

My connection just went down, im infront of my wired pc which i just restarted to get the ethernet connection working again, went away sunday and used the wifi on the pc in mean time. Now the surface wifi went down and i checked the pc and it was connected so i checked the router status. 

20/06/2021 04:02:49 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I googled the critical no ranging and i seen another thread with my same problem.

Link to other thread 

Please any helpful advice?

Thank You

0 Kudos