Menu
Hzy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 to Area 30?!

Hi there, 

I have noticed that on my Virgin Media, it says that Gig1 is available in my area, which is 30; see image from my account page: 

Virgin Media Gig1.png

If anyone has any tea on this, I'd appreciate it!

I am wondering if this is genuinely the case, as I am having a colossal amount of issues with my Virgin Media at present, I've spent 10 hours on the phone trying to sort them out, mainly being sent to offshore centers, and I believe if this is indeed the case, then it could sort my problems out. I have already made an assumption that it may be the case, and have included this as a desirable and reasonable solution to the many problems I am currently encountering in a complaint I have made this evening -- it's something that was brought up to me by an acquaintance. 

Equally, if anyone here that works for VM, UK based can help me with my problems I'm facing through PM or through my complaint number which I can also send via PM, that would be a God send. At this point, I've lost all confidence in Virgin Customer Service because of the colossal wait times and the amount of time you actually have to spend to not even get an issue resolved. 

Cheers in advance & stay safe. 

Hzy 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 to Area 30?!

This is a "community" forum - not one for immediate replies from VM. They do come on here but replies can take 5-10 days.  Users will help though.

That said - what issues are you having that you think will be resolved by upgrading to a 1GB package?

Highly unlikely IMHO unless you are a heavy, heavy, user.  You will gets better advice on what will from the regulars on here, if you describe them in detail

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hzy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

To be honest, the part about the issues that I am facing is more of a footnote, just incase I can actually get through to VM as from what I understand it's a lot of back office malarkey rather than your standard ah, it's this. I'll be happy to share if I get no fruit, but to be totally frank with you, I've been dealing with it since 3pm this afternoon and I don't think I can type anymore about it -- I should have saved the mail which I wrote to them to be honest, but I have a feeling that I'll most probably end up having to come back here to troubleshoot. 

I am a rather heavy user and I went with VM for that precise reason, I'm not able to use my service as heavily or as heavily as I'd like/need to, and that's why I was enquiring whether it was indeed the case my area is how Gig1 compatible -- that's my main question at the moment, is it something I can attain like it says on my account or not? I thought others here may be aware if they are in the same locality as me and have been pursuing/wanting that package. 

I may, if I have the time tomorrow elaborate exactly what's going on but TLDR; I'm getting colossally low speeds and ping with pods and all. Ethernet is not currently an option due to the placement of the router to the office space. Pods are not activated/activating for some reason which I'm lead to believe is a back office issue. 

Cheers for the reply and stay safe!

Hzy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK no probs.

However my two-pennyworth is that if you can do a test on an ethernet connection and do see that the connection is giving the speeds and stability you are contracted for, then (as we all know on here) that the VM (and all others) Hub, Boosters and now Pods are pretty poor wifi products. Have you considered moving to modem only mode and using your own better quality wireless equipment? That should solve all your wifi connection issues.

If I were a heavy wifi user wanting 1GB bandwith and speeds I would get a Tri-band, Wifi6, multibox Mesh system - in a heartbeat - and sod the cost.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don’t use “area” when talking about your location. It is only for billing reference, it can actually point to very diverse parts of the country. Please use the first part of your post code, before the space and the number after the space. Do not use your full post code as it can point to about 30 homes and identify you.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't think you should be looking to upgrade speeds until you identify issues with current setup, its all still on the same network after all and upgrading gives no benefit if there's a problem... (such as upstream congestion)

I've had Gig1, its not worth the money IMHO.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction