cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1, WiFi 6 & ASUS RT-AX86U

Okpal_79
Tuning in

Hi, could someone please advise me as I’m a bit confused.

I currently have the Hub 3 in modem mode and a ASUS RT-AX86U router on the M500 plan.  I’m considering upgrading to the Gig1 package and I understand that you get a new router (Hub 4/5) and this includes WiFi 6.

If I keep the same setup with my ASUS router will it be able to access the WiFi 6 or do I have to use the hub?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is not being supplied to new 1GB customers except by invite. You will get the Hub4 - wifi5 only.
But with the Hub in modem only mode and the Asus doing the heavy lifting - you will have wifi6

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is not being supplied to new 1GB customers except by invite. You will get the Hub4 - wifi5 only.
But with the Hub in modem only mode and the Asus doing the heavy lifting - you will have wifi6

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Just to add to the above with the HUB 4 you'll be limited to 940Mbps with third party routers due to the 1Gbps Ethernet ports.

Once the HUB 5 is available, that has one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, you'll be able to re-configure your Asus so its 2.5Gbps port is WAN, to make use of the full 1140Mbps.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Okpal_79 thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

As @jbrennand has rightfully mentioned, Wifi 6 is only available on the Hub 5 which isn't widely available to all customers yet unfortunately.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further support!

Many thanks

Tom_W