Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Hub4 Ethernet and WiFi Problem: Slow Speeds

Hello,

1. My telephone line has been cut in that the external cable is broken. I need an engineer to reconnect it please.

2. My Gig1 ethernet speed is dreadful. I have hard wired my Shield and PS4 to the Hub 4 and the speed varies wildly, from 30mbps to 300mpbs.  

3. My Gig1 WiFi speeds are even worse and the connection drops frequently. I have factory reset and rebooted the router. I have used a WiFi Analyser and changed the channels but to no avail. The VM router diagnostic tool says there is a problem with my WiFi and does not provide a solution.

4. I have called VM for help. I was on hold for over one hour and was then cut off. 

5. My chat room messages have been ignored. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 Hub4 Ethernet and WiFi Problem: Slow Speeds

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Consoles are not the best things to speedtest with.

The diagnostic tool always says there's a problem with the wifi even with no devices connected.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Speed into the router varies between 400mpbs to just over 1gpbs. 

Shield and PS4 both support gigabit and top speed is 300mbps. Device connected to the router, not switch. Tested together and separately. 

WiFi speed is much worse - my Hub3 router was delivering faster speeds.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

A PS4 may well have a gigabit ethernet; that doesn't mean it will achieve it. Plus the speedtest servers that the PS4 uses are iffy.

Post the results to the SamKnows tests back here.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Download to Hub 4 = 1069

Download to Computer = 81.8

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So the hub and the cable are delivering full speeds.

What device are you speedtesting with and what spec is the cable being used?

Is this direct to the hub or via a switch/extender/powerline etc.?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Speed to Hub4 has dropped to 849mbps. The speed varies between 600mbps to just over 1Gig. 

Lenovo IdealPad.

Hard wired to the router, not via switch or powerline. Cat 5e and 6 cables from Amazon. 

WiFi speed and coverage are very inconsistent on all devices.

Speed varies from 30mbps to 250mbps. 

Hub 3 had no problem connecting to Fire Stick in my dining room. Hub 4 doesn't maintain a stable connection. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

To give you some practical context, my PS4 is hard wired to the router with a CAT6 cable. 

My son is playing Fortnite and the game's network connection symbol is showing, indicating that the connection is too weak.  

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Login to the hubs admin page and post back (as text) the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs (found in Advanced Settings, Tools, Network Status).

0 Kudos