Menu
Highlighted
NinjaChimp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Hub 4 2.4GHz WiFi No Internet

I have recently upgraded to the latest Hub 4 and Gig1 having previously been on M200 and Hub 3.

I have a seemingly specific issue affecting devices that only support 2.4GHz WiFi... but not all devices that support only 2.4GHz. The devices are:

• Garmin Fenix 5 Plus sports watch.
  • Denon AVR-X2200W receiver amp.

Note they worked fine on Hub 3. I also tested the watch tethered to 2.4GHz phone hotspot, which worked fine.

I can set the devices up to connect to the 2.4GHz SSID without any issue and they do connect to the router, but fail to connect to the internet. I also have a Logitech Harmony Elite which is limited to 2.4GHz and that appears to function without issue, which makes it more perplexing.

What I've tried:

• Turning it off and on again. 🙂
  • Hub reset.
  • Different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5GHz.
  • Manually selecting channels (now set back to auto).
  • Disabling 5GHz to only have 2.4GHz and vice versa.
  • Trying different channel widths.
  • Trying each of the wireless modes.

All Hub settings are default other than those mentioned above (and dimmed light ring!). Problematic devices are in the same room as the Hub. No issues with 5GHz devices. Lots of phones, tablets, consoles, Echos etc. using WiFi. Also a few ethernet devices connected without issue, getting around 1Gb down / 50Mb up (main PC).

I think I've been quite thorough, but hoping I've missed something obvious! Otherwise I might have to bite the bullet, buy a separate router and run the hub in modem mode. I'd been considering a mesh network in any case.

Highlighted
jameshornby1980
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 Hub 4 2.4GHz WiFi No Internet

I’ve had similar on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. This is quite old now, but on both Hub 3, Hub 3 in modem only with Orbi, and Hub 4 I get internet disconnected randomly.

Sort if given up as I’m assuming it is the DV8Pro’s  Wi-Fi chipset.

Pleased to hear you see 1Gig as I haven’t seen above 460mbps via Wi-Fi. Need to connect my laptop via Ethernet.

I’d say I’ve also found Wi-Fi coverage is poor, need the extra box or to go back to Orbi

Highlighted
JonesJonesJones
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm also noticing issues with the 2.4ghz wifi. Earlier on today nothing would connect to it until I restarted the hub. And I can't get any of the network features to work on my Denon receiver either AVR-X4200W.
Highlighted
NinjaChimp
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@jameshornby1980 wrote:

...Pleased to hear you see 1Gig as I haven’t seen above 460mbps via Wi-Fi. Need to connect my laptop via Ethernet...

I should clarify that I definitely don't get 1Gb over WiFi, but I wasn't expecting to. I don't think the WiFi is very good at all, but it's good enough for what I need. Anything I want high bandwidth for, I use Ethernet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Aaron2
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You won't get 1Gb over Ethernet either, you'll cap out at around 940-960Mb

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
NinjaChimp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Aaron2 wrote:

You won't get 1Gb over Ethernet either, you'll cap out at around 940-960Mb

Yes and that's absolutely fine. In fact one of my main reasons for upgrade was not to get 1Gb; more interested in higher upload speed. 50Mb is still quite crap tho. I remember when I had an apartment with Hyperoptic 1Gb up and down. 😢 Uploading large videos to YouTube was a pleasure, not a chore.

...but we digress. The real issue is some gear not getting internet over WiFi. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Lets do router mode with wifi and wifi has standards so their be no compatibility problems they said...

you my have to use modem mode and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
NinjaChimp
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've come to the conclusion that the new Hub is awful for WiFI, even worse than the previously one, sadly.

I've had a lot of connection drops over the Christmas period which has been very annoying. Primarily Amazon Echo devices losing connectivity, even in the same room!

This morning the router rebooted itself. I just happened to notice as I lost connectivity on the (wired) PC. Oddly it reset my admin credentials, but left the WiFi settings intact.

I wish I could just give it back and use my own router like with other ISPs. Very irrirating having to plug in another device just to act as a WiFi router along with the Hub as a modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Ninjachimp.

We can see that there are some downstream power level issues that may be affecting your connection, I'll pop you over a private message now so we can pass security to confirm this and then book an engineer if needed.

Please respond to this by going to the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jameshornby1980
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, it’s also been an interesting couple weeks over Christmas.

I’ve also had the same disconnections. Kids kindles were disconnecting, same with my laptop.

I also want to persevere through this as I was fed up of having both the router and my Orbi on the shelf.

We stream most our media on Amazon Prime so haven’t been able to break anything whilst the children are at home.

0 Kudos