Menu
bob_bobberson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Getting replacement hub when customer service say they are unable to send you one

I've had an awful experience with countless calls to customer service over the last few weeks involving direct contradictions between different calls, too long to post here, but basically:

- Our internet keeps dropping out but with no error lights on the hub (just the standard white light shows on front implying everything's fine) and the only way to fix is to switch the hub off and on again, taking 5-10 minutes for internet connectivity to come back up. It's happening at least once a day, sometimes more. It affects both wired and WiFi connections so has nothing to do with WiFi connectivity or reception. It affects all devices in the house, all of which work fine when connected to a different WiFi hotspot, so it's not the devices at fault. Virgin says there's no fault in our area, so the issue is in our house, not in Virgin's infrastructure. Evidence points towards a faulty hub.

- As the issue is never happening while I am on the phone to Virgin (it's intermittent and will have resolved itself by the time I get through the 1 hour phone queue), they have run every diagnostic check, reset all settings and anything else they can do and they say their systems says there's no issue therefore they are blocked from sending me a new hub. I even offered to throw money at the problem but they said it's impossible for me to buy a new hub no matter how much money I offer. Computer Says No.

- We work from home - It's bad enough when I get booted from a meeting but my wife is a teacher and she can't keep dropping out of lessons for 10 minutes whenever the issue happens, hence me trying to take drastic action in throwing money at the problem to make it go away.

- I have hit a brick wall with the customer service phone team, hence me posting here in the hope someone can offer a common sense approach and somehow circumvent the computer "saying no" just because it doesn't have the ability to detect the specific problem we're having. Any other reputable company, if you walked in to a shop and said that "this issue is happening and this is the notable impact on us" and provided long, carefully recorded logs with timestamps, they'd said "We're very sorry to hear that. Let's figure out a way of solving this" whereas Virgin has basically said "No. We will not, and cannot help you.". Imagine a John Lewis employee saying that to you. I'm honestly shocked at the brick wall.

Is there anyone here that can somehow apply a common sense approach and offer an avenue to a new hub? At this point, I'm totally willing to pay.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting replacement hub when customer service say they are unable to send you one

Even if you get a new hub, that may not be the underlying cause.  I'll flag your post for the forum staff to advise, see if they can save the day, but you really should be thinking whether you'll put up with service like this, or you'd rather cut your losses, get a new connection in from somebody competent like Zen Internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting replacement hub when customer service say they are unable to send you one

Hi bob_bobberson,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you have been having issues with your connection which you believe may be caused by the router.

I have had a look at things our end and cannot see any issues at all, as you are still experiencing the same issue I advise you to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. please run this for 72 hours and post the results here so we can have a further look into this for you.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
bob_bobberson
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser. I hadn't actually heard of Zen before, which seemed weird given they've been around 25 years! Thank you for the tip because I liked what I saw and so if and when I do leave Virgin, I think that'll be the first place I check next, if I can afford the high cost.

0 Kudos
bob_bobberson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Paul_DN. I've actually managed to get a new Hub now (more on that below) but I'm not sure your suggestion would've helped in this instance. The issue has never been the connection between the outside world and my hub; it's been between my hub and devices internally connected to it (either through WiFi or ethernet). So a Broadband Quality Monitor would not show up any issues because every ping would be successful even when, internally, none of my devices had any internet connection.

Update since my original post: On reflection, I decided that my only remaining option would be to figure out a way to speak on the phone to a Virgin customer services representative while the actual issue was happening. This involved a lot of luck because we had to wait for the issue to randomly occur again at some point, this would have to be during Virgin customer service opening hours, and it'd have to be a time when we could have at least 1-2 hours without internet (so my wife would need to not be teaching a lesson and I'd need to not be involved in any work that couldn't be avoided). This magical aligning of the stars happened last week. I was on the phone to Virgin while the WiFi and ethernet connections for every device in the house was non-existent yet the hub was showing no error lights on the front and after they ran all checks on their side, they said their computer systems showed that my internet connection was fine. ...This is why I think that your recommended ping service wouldn't have helped in this instance because if they were successfully connecting to my hub from outside my network while the issue was happening, a ping test is unlikely to fail while the issue was happening.

The customer services representative went off to speak to a manager at this point, and then he came back to say they'd send me a new hub. Mixed feelings because the relief and joy was enormous but at the same time, I thought why the hell couldn't you do this five 1-to-2-hour phone calls ago? I've presented no new evidence in this call. I've begged and pleaded before, suggesting I would throw money at them to get them to just send me a new hub. And multiple customer services representatives have stated there is absolutely nothing they can do to help me. So why did this one particular person just fix my issue instantly? Unbelievably frustrating and inconsistent customer service.

Thanks to both repliers for taking the time to try to help. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@bob_bobberson wrote:

....I've begged and pleaded before, suggesting I would throw money at them to get them to just send me a new hub. And multiple customer services representatives have stated there is absolutely nothing they can do to help me.

They are having supply issues on all equipment at the moment (for several reasons) and the rumour is that their "mountain" of Hub3's has finally got to rock bottom as evidenced that most "New" Hub3's being sent out seem to be just refurbished returns.  The Hub stockpile is not building up quickly enough with Hub4's and these are going out with differing priorities.  Hence, CS are no longer dishing the new Hubs out like sweeties (just to get you off the phone) and are making sure that you really need one first.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
bob_bobberson
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John. That explains what might’ve occurred but is still a bad move because their calibration of how long to leave a customer pleading before they believe them is totally off. I like to think of myself as reasonably level-headed and in two of the last five calls with them I’ve found myself so unable to contain my rage and frustration that I have, sadly, massively let rip down the phone at them. I cannot remember the last time I felt so anxious, frustrated and enraged all at the same time and whether I like it or not, I will now carry the memory of this experience as an unconscious bias against Virgin Media. It’s bad business sense to treat customers this way because the impact is a ripple effect and can last a lifetime.

Thanks for taking the time to answer - I appreciate you passing on a possible explanation for all of this.

0 Kudos