Menu
jonorl
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Getting a 15M coax cable?

I just moved to a new house, and even with a powerline adaptor via ethernet I still have half the speed on the 3rd floor of the house, compared to what I get at the main door where the Virgin Media box is. I was thinking about replacing the coax cable with a 15M one, pass it under the floorboard via the cellar and have my internet hub set up near the staircase, which should be a lot closer to where the 3rd floor office.

Is that reasonable? Can I do this myself? Will there be any loss of speed by having this long cable?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting a 15M coax cable?

@jonorl wrote:

Is that reasonable?

VM can do it for £99

@jonorl wrote:

Can I do this myself?

NO

@jonorl wrote:

Will there be any loss of speed by having this long cable?

No

or you can get a better router with 1Gb ports use hub in modem mode and run your own Ethernet cable  

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jonorl
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I already have my own router connected to hub3 via bridge mode. What is the difference between extending the coax and extending it via ethernet?

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you extend the coax, you will change the signal levels reaching the hub for the worse, and if any of them were borderline  you might well find you have no connection whatsoever, and that assumes that you manage to get the right cable with the right electrical characteristics (and not some old bit of TV aerial cable you have knocking around), and can get the right connectors and properly fit them so there are no signal reflections back down it.

Worse case, you introduce noise into the system which manages to effect not only you but others connected to the same cabinet, then VM will promptly disconnect you (possibly permanently) and charge you for the work they've had to do.

So if you feel you have the right skills plus all the test equipment then fine, otherwise, running ethernet only effects you, is far easier to obtain and is easier to diagnose any issues.

Personally, I'd choose the latter!

jonorl
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'll buy the 15M ethernet cable instead, thanks!
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jonorl wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, I guess I'll buy the 15M ethernet cable instead, thanks!

Best to run a cable from the Hub to the 3rd floor, either internally or externally, which ever is easiest.  Powerline adaptors will reduce speed so are best avoided.  If you do get a cable up, you can add a switch and a good wifi access point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Smart decision!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jonorl wrote:

I already have my own router connected to hub3 via bridge mode. What is the difference between extending the coax and extending it via ethernet?

None but one important thing moving the router away from the hub means any wired connection you had at the hub to your router now can't connect to your router so to work around that run two sets of Ethernet so that you run your router where you want and a cable back to the hub if needed.

Primewire – 15m – CAT 7 flat ethernet cable – LAN – U: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

15m - black - 1 pieces - CAT.6 Ethernet Lan Network Cable RJ45 | 10/100/1000/Mbit/s | Patchcabel | C...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos