Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

General Stability and SuperHub options

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum - be gentle - but long time CableTel / NTL / VM customer.

Been having stability issues for as long as I can remember but got steadily worse over past year or so.

Engineer due Monday but I would appreciate some thoughts in advance.

I have the Super Hub 2 (not sure if it is the AC version?) so a reasonable chance I may get pressed to change to a SH3 version. Reading other posts it sounds like if that's an old second hand version to avoid if I can but ok to take the SH3 if its a new version - is the the right thought or best to still try to stick with a SH2, even if they offered a SH4 (unlikely as I only have M100).

I have just bought an ASUS router (to use the SH2 in modem mode) as fed up with terrible quality of stability and constant buffering on devices such as Amazon Firestick.

Also does anyone have any other suggestions about asking the engineer to look at, such as how old the cable is to the house, filters or anything else.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: General Stability and SuperHub options

Which Asus router did you get?
I still have the SH2 - in modem mode and its fine with my own router.
The Hub3 should be too. Dunno about the Hub4 yet.
The Tech should check all the cabling. Age shouldn't really be an issue. Mine is 20-30 years old and is still spot on!

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. Hopefully there will be some positive outcomes rom the visit.

I have the ASUS RT-AC68U.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You're better off with a Hub 3 than any prior VM hub, simply because older hubs only use 8 upstream channels compared to the 24 of the Hub 3, and that makes the older hubs more vulnerable to less than ideal line conditions.  Even if it is a "reconditioned" Hub 3, that still applies, and since the hub is VM's property, it is their prerogative to issue second hand kit.  Handing out used equipment doesn't seem very customer-friendly given that VM is an expensive option, and if you refuse a reconditioned Hub 3 then the technician will probably allow you to keep the Superhub 2.  But if the instability hasn't been fixed, then VM may require you to have one as part of their fault fixing strategy.  Personally I'd say take a Hub 3 whether second hand or not.  

If you're offered a Hub 4, then that would ONLY be because there's congestion on the local network AND if your local network has been upgraded to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard, and in that case you really should take it, even though the Hub 4 is looking a bit bug-ridden at the moment.  There's no other advantage to a Hub 4, and unless both of those conditions apply you won't get one.  You'd be well advised to put any replacement hub in modem mode and continue with the Asus router - the wifi remains poor on Hub 3 and 4.

Regarding the age of the cable and other possible factors, let the technician determine what the problem is - some form of radio frequency noise or power levels is most likely, the underlying causes of that could be a multitude of things.  If he/she only replaces the SH2 with a Hub 3 and does nothing else, then my expectation is that won't fix the problem, and you'll be back here asking for help shortly afterwards.   

In terms of things to do now, set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, that'll keep an eye on your connection for packet loss and latency issues.  If you want help reading it, then let it run for a full 24 hours (nothing useful will show until there's a full day's data), then post a link to a "shared snapshot" graph (not a screenshot or image) and we can comment accordingly.  Note that when you switch between modem mode and router mode your IP address changes, and in that case the BQM will not change, you need to do that to ensure that the BQM is using your current IP.  Other than changing between modem and router mode, VM IP addresses are "sticky" in that they can and do change, but not very often.   

This is my BQM, and shows what a decent BQM for VM looks like:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

Ordinarily I'd say to also post the hub's status data as well, but if there's a technician booked then there's not much point - they are the expert, let them take a look, and we'd only want to see the status data if the problems persist.  You shouldn't have any stability problems if they diagnose and fix the problems properly: When VM's cable network is properly setup and not-over-subscribed it is a reasonably robust technology, despite it's complexity.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have now had the ASUS router installed and the new VM Hub 3.0 in place in modem mode and its made a huge stability difference. Still early days and I haven't had time to fully test everything connected, such as Amazon Fire Stick which is on WIFI but everything else has had a marked difference.

I have the broadband quality monitor now running so will post the results.

But overall I am very happy with the new router in place.

0 Kudos