Menu
safcbass
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Garden Outbuilding Wi-Fi Improvement

Hi all,

Hopefully I can get some much needed help.

We M600 and Hub 3. Wifi in the house is around 150 mbps. Working from home has meant an office set-up in the garden outbuilding. I have a booster in the conservatory, and then the receiver in the outbuilding but I'm getting abysmal wifi speed. Internet speed tester is saying 5 mbps.

How can I improve this? I have a network cable running from the Hub 3 at the front of the house to the conservatory and connected to the PlayStation. Ive seen possibly about adding a second router?

Please help?

Thanks and keep safe

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Garden Outbuilding Wi-Fi Improvement

@safcbass wrote:

Hi all,

Hopefully I can get some much needed help.

We M600 and Hub 3. Wifi in the house is around 150 mbps. Working from home has meant an office set-up in the garden outbuilding. I have a booster in the conservatory, and then the receiver in the outbuilding but I'm getting abysmal wifi speed. Internet speed tester is saying 5 mbps.

How can I improve this? I have a network cable running from the Hub 3 at the front of the house to the conservatory and connected to the PlayStation. Ive seen possibly about adding a second router?

Please help?

Thanks and keep safe

The best way of doing it is to run some externally rated CAT5e / CAT6 from the hub down to the office and attaching a wifi access point (or an old router if you have one knocking around)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tehwolf's solution is the best - but if that is problematic you could try this. Put a 5-8 port unmanaged ethernet switch with GB ports on the end of the ethernet cable and then plug the PS into it and get yourself a good quality wireless access point capable of covering the area you want

Or something like this that is a WAP with extra ports

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
safcbass
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the message. The wifi app seemed to configure the boosters better, but Im very interested in the router and network switch idea.

Would it be recommended to buy the router in the message above and an 8 port network switch. The new router would be located in the conservatory next to the PS. Does the PS then link into that? (I currently have the PS wired from the living room and it reads the full 360 mbps download speed). Would the new router boost the signal to the garden outbuilding? Would it be a new network, or boosting the current? What is the network switch for? Thanks

Enjoy the weekend

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@safcbass wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the message. The wifi app seemed to configure the boosters better, but Im very interested in the router and network switch idea.

Would it be recommended to buy the router in the message above and an 8 port network switch. The new router would be located in the conservatory next to the PS. Does the PS then link into that? (I currently have the PS wired from the living room and it reads the full 360 mbps download speed). Would the new router boost the signal to the garden outbuilding? Would it be a new network, or boosting the current? What is the network switch for? Thanks

Enjoy the weekend

Sorry, just to clarify...

Your hub is in a room at the front of the house.

Your PS4 is in the conservatory at the back of the house, connected by ethernet to the hub

You would like to extend wired/wifi access from the house to the outbuilding?

the above is entirely achievable, and you have a lot of options.

1. Run an additional cable from the Hub to the outbuilding and install an access point (like the one linked by @jbrennand) in the outbuilding.  Leave the PlayStation connected to the existing wire and get good wireless coverage in the garden building.

2. install a switch in the conservatory, and plug the current ethernet into that, connect the PlayStation to the switch via a new, short, ethernet cable. Run a cable from the conservatory to the outbuilding and install the access point in there

If you are happy with how the hub performs as a router, the above two options are probably the easiest/best.

Other options involve buying a new router and putting the hub into modem mode, but this is unlikely going  to negate the need to run a cable from the house to the outbuilding,  whilst you may choose to go down this route anyway (and i wouldn't deliberately put people off buying better routers because the hub is terrible in my opinion) if you are happy with the hub, you don't *need* to do it.. 

edit: the only reason I'm avoiding suggesting putting a router in the conservatory and hoping it extends wifi down to the office is that a lot of modern glass is treated, and wifi can struggle to penetrate the coatings.. you may want to give it a try nonetheless, but worth knowing.. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My link is to an access point and not a router. If you got that (or similar) you leave the Hub in normal mode and just connect the WAP to it by the long ethernet cable - or to the switch if you have put one onto the Hub. The ports on the WAP can be used to connect any devices to by ethernet cable - as well as having better wifi there too.

If you want a new router - thats a different ball-game - what do you want?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

An Ethernet cable is the best way of course, but one way not mentioned and it’s far better than other solutions of you do not want to run the cable. It’s to use a point to point wireless solution. These have become much cheaper of late, worth some investigation.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

An Ethernet cable is the best way of course, but one way not mentioned and it’s far better than other solutions of you do not want to run the cable. It’s to use a point to point wireless solution. These have become much cheaper of late, worth some investigation.

true enough. i use a set myself to great effect to extend a network about ~150m

but, and the reason i didn't offer the suggestion up, you're ramping up the cost quite a bit vs cable+cheap access point, and whilst they're not particularly difficult to configure, it's definitely not as straight forward as running a cable and chucking a switch/ap on the end of it 🙂

a pair of low-end unifi point to point devices is still going to be in the region of £150 + any additional bits you need afterwards.. (still probably need an access point / switch etc..)

0 Kudos