Menu
bren11
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Garden House

Hi

We are building a garden house which will have power and we want wired internet and Virgin TV to with TIVO box

In our house we have a Superhub4 which has 4 ports in living room  with TIVO box and also a secondary TV box in kitchen .

Will we need to run 2 separate cables to the garden house? 

An Ethernet Cat6 cable from the hub for internet and RG6 cable for the TV?

The hub has 4 ports already in use , can I use a port extender to multiple the number of ports?   For the RG6 cable which will run from garden house to main house , where will this cable run to? Can we run it to kitchen an put some sort of splitter feed into brown Virgin cable?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Garden House

The RG6 should be ran to wherever your splitter is, so you may have a 3way splitter in your livingroom next to your hub for example.

You can buy a gigabit switch for extra ports on your hub4

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you are running cable so that you can use a Virginmedia TV box then I am afraid that only Virginmedia can install coaxial cable that is suitable for their TV boxes as using 3rd party cable can affect not only you but everybody who uses the same Virginmedia connection in the street.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bren11
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick response.
So am I correct in thinking that for Virgin TV and Wired internet we will need to run to 2 separate cables? RG6 & Ethernet?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes there would need to be two cables Ethernet for you internet in the garden room and Virginmedia will need to run a coaxial connection to allow you to use the Tivo box. When installing the Ethernet yourself it is advisable to also install pull ropes to allow Virginmedia to pull their cables through when they install them.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Yes there would need to be two cables Ethernet for you internet in the garden room and Virginmedia will need to run a coaxial connection to allow you to use the Tivo box. When installing the Ethernet yourself it is advisable to also install pull ropes to allow Virginmedia to pull their cables through when they install them.

Regards Mike

That’s indeed how I’d do such

Install suitable trunking/conduit with a draw cord in.  You can then pull in additional cables or replace faulty ones in the future. 

Virgin will want to use their own coax cable.  I’m not sure if they make cable available for pre-installation. Ask.

BT used to make cable available to builders/developers so they could run it in during construction as a benefit to the house buyer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos