Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [220.127.116.11] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1 2 * * * Request timed out. 3 12 ms 14 ms 10 ms haye-core-2a-xe-233-0.network.virginmedia.net [18.104.22.168] 4 * * * Request timed out. 5 * * * Request timed out. 6 16 ms 14 ms 14 ms telw-ic-3-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [22.214.171.124] 7 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms tele-ic-1-ge-302-233.network.virginmedia.net [126.96.36.199] 8 * * * Request timed out. 9 * * * Request timed out. 10 12 ms 23 ms 15 ms ae0.er02.telhc.bbc.co.uk [188.8.131.52] 11 14 ms 14 ms 17 ms 184.108.40.206 12 33 ms 26 ms 47 ms bbc-vip116.telhc.bbc.co.uk [220.127.116.11]
West London (Uxbridge) I know my cabling physically terminates in nearby Hayes after a recent issue with a gasworks company pouring concrete in the fibreduct.
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [18.104.22.168] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.1.1.1 2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms [snip].static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [snip] 3 * * * Request timed out. 4 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms basl-core-2a-ae16-0.network.virginmedia.net [22.214.171.124] 5 * * * Request timed out. 6 * * * Request timed out. 7 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms telw-ic-3-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [126.96.36.199] 8 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms tele-ic-1-ge-302-233.network.virginmedia.net [188.8.131.52] 9 * * * Request timed out. 10 * * * Request timed out. 11 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [184.108.40.206] 12 21 ms 28 ms 20 ms 220.127.116.11 13 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms bbc-vip146.telhc.bbc.co.uk [18.104.22.168]
Since switching my business broadband over to 5 statics two months ago, all hell has broken loose.
I was initially on the single static IP package, but the Hitron does not support modem mode with a single static IP (though the option is set to hidden in the Hitron GUI DOM, you can just unhide it and it will allow you get put the Hitron into modem only mode, but it doesn't go via the GRE tunnel, so you don't get your static IP).
Virgin told me to go with the 5 statics, as I wanted to use my own router hardware (MikroTik RB3011UiAS) for my server setup. Enabling the 5 statics seems to put the Hitron into a weird semi modem only mode, but I don't get double NATted, so I don't really mind.
Unfortunately, unlike Ignition's poor performance, my performance is actually good, but the connection will drop multiple times a day, and only power cycling the Hitron seems to bring it back online again. I have wasted many hours on support calls and had multiple engineer visits, the most recent engineer swapped my Hitron out for a new one, but nothing has fixed my issue.
I am not always at the premises, but as I run a web development agency, I have clients who need to access sites on my staging server. So I had to resort in asking the support live chat to remotely reboot my modem in order to get back online, though this was a time consuming process of answering the same security questions every time.
Therefore, I have had to resort in using a smart WIFI socket with the Hitron. I then wrote a script which runs on the server to detect if the WAN has dropped, if it has, it will power cycle the modem. It's a nasty hack, but it keeps my online most of the time. (It also allows my to track when and how often the connection drops, in the last twelve hours, it has gone down a total of four times).
I stumbled across this forum post while trying to look for GRE tunnel settings, so I could offload the tunnel from the Hitron to my MikroTik router, as the Hitron seems to be awful. But it doesn't look like anyone has found these settings?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the huge post!
On a belt & braces basis, are you content that the downstream/upstream stats are all in range and nothing is flapping in the Circuit?
If all that is OK, you might be running into either or both of limitations in Mikrotik & Hitron. From my research a couple of years ago with the Hitron, but before the current firmware version, I concluded that the best way of handling 5 static IPs is by going through a suitable standalone firewall that will route each IP through it’s own VLAN. A layer 3 switch behind that would sort out the rest. All that costs dosh.
I doubt I’ve been very helpful! Btw, on cableforum.uk, CCARMOCK is the resident expert.
Apparently my upstream levels were too high at one point, but an engineer came out and resolved the issue. I'd rather not chuck more dosh into the mix unless I really have to, but thanks for the suggestions.
I will try my luck on cableforum.uk, thanks again!