Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

GIg1wifi speedwith booster

Hi I have just upgraded from a Hub 3 with power line booster to Hub 4 and Gig1(unfortunately I still need the booster in my TV room). The ethernet connected speed is fine at around 920 Mbps, but the wifi speeds are pretty slow by comparison varying from a low around 80 (this is in the TV room where there is the booster) up to about 280 mbps next to the hub.

I tried downloading a 1 hour UHD tv programme to my sky box via wifi and it took 32 mins for 50%, I then connected the box to the booster by ethernet and the same download took 8 minutes.

Two questions

1. Should the wifi speeds be better?

2. is the booster (originally supplied for the Hub3) suitable for the Hub4?

Thanks I have tried to live chat with broadband support and have waited for a reply since 14:30 yesterday so thought I would try the community!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: GIg1wifi speedwith booster

Sky only uses the slower 2.4Ghz band. You’re better off connecting the sky box by Ethernet.

Yes the boosters will work. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When you installed the Hub 4 did you reset the booster then reconnect it ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

yes I did

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If your Booster is only used for the Sky box you would be as well giving the Booster 2.4GHz a unique name and connecting to that.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I also use it for phone, tablet, Smart TV, Av wifi connection as the signal is weak in that room.

Have just rebooted the booster and now getting 130 mbps in the room but surprised it isn't better surely it should be almost as good as being near the hub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is that from the hub directly or the booster?

And is it in the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

From the booster, without it in the room I only got 33 mbps download speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Roberjon wrote:

From the booster, without it in the room I only got 33 mbps download speed.

That sounds about right then

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if the booster is faulty as just went back in the room and back down to 30 mbps and strong signal has gone

0 Kudos