cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent ping spikes and packet loss

liamVM1
Tuning in

Everything was fine until yesterday when I randomly started getting to 200ms+ every 10-30seconds (over ethernet) for 1 second. I've tried troubleshooting (reset modem and router, replug cables, restart, try different cables, different devices) but its the same problem. Download speed is fine and it's not noticeable in video streaming platforms. I tried phoning up however they said everything was fine on their end and the steps they suggested I already tried. I have the 350mb package and no device is downloading when this is happening.

Ping test - 24 ms - 2022-04-05 13:14 - www.meter.net this is what it looks like

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/05206372dbfcfabcc75963680afb34742b...

this is what the monitor looks like so far

10 REPLIES 10

liamVM1
Tuning in

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi LiamVM1, 

Thank you for your post and I am sorry you are having issues, you will need to take the hub out of modem mode and then run a packet loss test for an accurate reading, keep us posted on this.

I checked our systems and also your upstream and downstream levels and area latency all is fine.

Zoie

The download/upload and average latency is fine, however in games and other applications, the ms jumps to 150-400 range. Everything was fine until a week ago I don't know what happened. I'll have to contact again today because its unplayable for over a week now. (there was maintenance from 12am to 8am early this morning but issue is still here) 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ff30b687afd0d49c1288ae760fb9b3d675...  live BQM

Hi LiamVM1 thanks for getting back to us.

I am sorry to hear that you're still have the issues.  We've had another look and still cannot find anything that explains the issues you're having.  Is it only online gaming that's being impacted and do you mean specific games or all games?

Regards

Lee_R

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Try gaming in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried it, its the same result unfortunately, nothing seems to work troubleshooting wise. 

All online games and its noticeable in VOIP apps such as discord

An engineer is arranged to come out on the 18th to see if there is a issue otherwise i'll be charged £25 but at this point i'm out of options than hopelessly waiting to play online games again.

liamVM1
Tuning in

Update: Something has fixed the issue for now