Menu
speedz
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Frequent drops and slow wifi with Hub 4

Moved from Sky to VM last week. am on the M600 broadband. The wifi keeps dropping at least once per hour and the download speed is 50 Mbps max via wifi. I want to check for hotspots and order wifi pod but the connect app does not work with Hub 4, Any ide how the wifi pods can be ordered? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent drops and slow wifi with Hub 4

Pods are free to “some customers” (on Ultimate Oomph - or the 1GB services) but others will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

Are you sure its "wifi only" - do you get full speeds on an ethernet cable connection?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
speedz
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John.

I tried with ethernet cable and i get around 300 Mbps (much less than the advertised 600+)

When i sit next to the hub, with wifi i get about 100 Mbps.. upstairs with wifi i get around 50 Mbps. 

I also did a diagnostic test from the hub page and it says issues with wifi and asking me to move closer to the hub! 

I have been using wifi so thats where i have noticed the frequent drop in connections. I have not worked with ethernet cable for a reasonably long period

I am on the untimate Oomph, so hopefully eligible for the free wifi pod

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What device are you Speedtesting with when wired?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you post your Hub status and logs?
Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
speedz
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.. I tested on wired connection with a Thinkpad laptop

I contacted VM and was told that there is a performance improvement work being done in the area which might affect speed and stability for next one week! So i shall see if things improve after one week and if not then revisit the thread and provide router logs.. Thanks

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us @speedz 

There is currently a utilization issue that we are trying to get resolved. The current estimated time of fix is for 23/06/21.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
speedz
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zak. Do you know if there is any update on the utilisation issue that you mention?

Also, i am sure i would benefit from the wifi pods as there are 2 rooms in the house with no wifi signal at all. Please advise on how to get these as i understand these are available for free to Ultimate Oomph customers. Thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @speedz,

Thanks for popping back for an update. 

I have checked up on this for you and unfortunately the estimated time of fix has been pushed back to 30 SEP 2021 13:00. 

We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved.

In regards to WiFi Pods, we currently have stock supply issues but you can register your interest here

Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
speedz
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ayisha

i was hoping the issue would be fixed on 23rd June but 30 Sep is a long way now! I switched from Sky to VM less than 2 weeks ago and though i am on the M600 package, tbh Sky had a much more reliable connection with good wifi. With VM, my connection keeps dropping almost once every hour and the wifi in some rooms is very poor ( less than 10 Mbps). Me and my wife wfh and this is having impact on our work. I really cannot spend the next 3 months like this hoping that things would be improve on 30th Sep. 

Please advise if you can provide wifi pods or similar asap. If not, can an engineer visit and advise on any other solution. I am sorry i cannot find any direct way to raise a ticket or an email ID to send this. The forum is probably not the best place to raise a personal ticket.  

0 Kudos