Menu
geoffshep69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Frequent WiFi disconnections

Hi all

We have a Hub3, but are suffering from very annoying and very frequent issues when connecting with mobile phones in the house.

The connection can be working fine, but will then just stop providing any data to the phones.  Most of the time the phone still shows that the WiFi is connected, but it simply refuses to load any data.  Turning WiFi off and back on again usually fixes this, but its getting very tiresome doing this continually.

Its not just one device, it affects all the phones in the house (Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S10+, Google Pixel 5).  Its also nothing to do with signal strength, as I havent moved or changed anything, and this can happen even when I am literally standing right next to the Hub.  And the Internet connection itself seems fine, other devices can still be working while the phones are not.

I've tried 'forgetting' the WiFi network on the phone and then reconnecting, but that doesnt make any difference at all, the problem just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions ?  Really annoyed that I'm paying for a premium service that seems unable to deliver the basics.

Is this an issue with the Hub itself, does it need replaced ?  Will it improve things if I use it in Modem mode and connect a separate router ?  (Albeit I dont really see why I should have to shell out to buy a separate router if the Hub isnt fit for purpose)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Geoff

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Frequent WiFi disconnections

Try splitting the Hub's SSID and turn off Smart Optimisation.  That way you can choose which Band and Channel you connect to, rather than allow the Hub to do what it thinks is best.

• To access your Hub settings page you need to type 192.168.0.1 into your browser.
  • Enter your setting password, which is an 8 digit number written on the underside of the Hub.
  • Once on the home page go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security 
  • This will take you to a page with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies listed, simply change the names so they no longer match and the frequencies will split. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
geoffshep69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

So presumably in my phone I will then see two different network names, I can connect to them both by using the same password, and then the phone decides which to connect to (unless I override it and choose the other network ?)

Which is the best network for a phone, the 2.4 or the 5 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@geoffshep69 wrote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.    <snip>

Yes, correct.  The 2.4ghz Band has more wall penetration and range, but is slower.  It is also the most common and therefore lots of IoT use this and this wifi space can be very crowded.  The 5ghz band is faster, but less range. It is less congested as well.   So it depends on your needs and home wifi environment.

If you have an Android device you can get a wifi analyser app from the Play Store and see what your best band and channel choice would be, e.g. either 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4ghz.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
geoffshep69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Great, thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
geoffshep69
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just wanted to confirm that since I followed your advice, I haven't had any more problems and so far the phones are staying connected without the frequent issues that I was having before.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it !

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello @geoffshep69.

Thank you for the update! We are happy to see that this has now been resolved with our forums members 🙂

I hope you have a lovely day.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos