Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 11 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Free WiFi Booster

Hi just had the same problem. Called them as I don’t get and internet signal in my kitchen or 2 bedrooms and they just said it was a problem with my house. I asked about the booster but they didn’t know when it was coming and then hung up. Completely useless and extremely poor customer service!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 35
Flag for a moderator

You are absolutely correct, It is poor customer relations and interaction - but the "service" is understandable.  VM like all BB providers, don't "guarantee" a wifi network - only one connected by ethernet cables. That is because of all the variants that could be interfering with and ruining your signal and connection - other appliances and neighbours' networks being the most prominent in that regard.

I think VM (and all others) should go back to the (good) old days and only supply the modem - and say that if a customer wants a wireless network they should sort that out themselves.  They could always offer to supply a (cheaper) wifi router for say £25 with full instructions on how to set it up (or the engineer will do it once) but with no guarantee it would continue to work in your environment (in which case - return for a full refund).  This would mean that customers who are serious about having a good wireless network in their homes, would spend money on buying a good fit for purpose wireless router, wireless access point or mesh system.  And perhaps also get an expert to set it up for them.  That would be a sound, future proofed investment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 13 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Free WiFi Booster

Just had my Router changed to a Hub 3.0 because of a fault on my old router.

Immediately the range of the WiFi is terrible.

Just spoke to an Techy who actually knew his stuff and ordered me a free booster.

He even said to save the delivery charge I can pick up my free wired booster on Tues locally in a little newsagent round the corner.

Think the Wifi Range issue on the Hub 3.0 is a massive one. 

I think is a Netgear one but will let you know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 35
Flag for a moderator

interesting but i would check - others on here have said they are available but they add a few pounds to the monthly bill - maybe it depends how you get them but some VM agents have always been good at telling half a story 

does free mean no upfront cost but a monthly charge?

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

does free mean no upfront cost but a monthly charge?

Its not worth it if they continually change you way past how much they cost the good news is you get a replacement if it goes wrong I guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 16 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Jay,did the booster solve your issues with the WiFi as I'm experiencing the same problem ? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 17 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@smudger00000000 wrote:

Hiya Jay,did the booster solve your issues with the WiFi as I'm experiencing the same problem ? Thanks.

Irrespective of Jay's outcome, the moral of the story for me is.......    VM supply a Hub that has poor wifi performance for many people.  They (finally) acknowledge that by providing wifi boosters (for free or maybe for a charge).  What expectation would you have that these will then be a solution to the underlying issue.  Which is, VM (and other BB suppliers) cannot optimise or guarantee individual wifi networks for their customers.  So that being the case, why on earth would you rely on them to provide that network for you ?  The smart thing to do is to stick the Hub where it belongs - in "modem mode" - and buy your own wifi router or access point(s) to take control of of your own Networks.

I know that to a lot of people spending more money like that is a non-starter, VM should do it - but the bottom line is - they can't.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 18 of 35
Flag for a moderator

No such thing as free booster from Virgin, told me it's £3.50 per month.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 35
Flag for a moderator

It was free for a trial but now it's £3 per month

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@Pete1942 wrote:

No such thing as free booster from Virgin, told me it's £3.50 per month.

Well that's not entirely correct (but let's not dwell on semantics by including those Trialists that have been testing VM's rebadged Comtrend G.Hn HomeGrid version f.o.c for more than a year!).  

Suggest you check the specs of what VM are renting for £3.50 . I suspect if these are PG-9072/3 .LG-VM "HomeGrid Booster Sets" then . they may have (recently?) adjusted their rental prices for 2 and 3unit (includes WiFi unit)  from £2 and £3 pcm recently?

Anyway important thing to consider is VM are renting these these HomeGrid G.Hn versions because they

1. Are technically different from the older AV/1/2 HomePlug versions.

2. Because VM (currently)  virtually have  a monopoly on (UK "retail mains passthru") HomeGrid versions then to rent rather than sell to conform with their "lifetime free support (replacement) paradigm".

3 More importantly the G.Hn units allow VM to incorporate proprietary firmware for co-lateral Smart Wifi  (and future Booster/Hub line conditioning/monitoring) within a controlled environment. (That minimises Support/training/costs).

That said  (NOTE in 1  above I didn't  say "technically superior" yet I implied it short of instigating a Sony Betamax  v  JVC VHS style) war as  I doubt most of us do  not have the inclination, time, finance nor aptitude to procure and implement spectrum analysis on our ring mains to objectively compare both systems/technologies in context of our own consumer ring main environment?

So  you might well find the legacy AV/AV1/AV2 Homeplug works for you across your .ring main architecture at £30-£50 one off purchase price.....   (unless you have a vociferous Radio Ham next door on same single phase supply feed.....) - just make sure you have Sale or Return agreement as otherwise VM's option only requires 30days . downgrade notice . so £7 . gives you plenty of empirical testing......

[Yes as an ex Radio Ham  I am prejudiced against the more cheap&dirty Homeplug tech that . doesn't incorporate the same "notch . filtering /OFDM" techniques as HomeGrid]

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos