cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating internet quality

Robasmith
On our wavelength

Hi, hoping someone can help! 

I've been having some issues with the quality of my internet connection. 

Gig1 1000mbps internet using Superhub 4 as modem and a Asus RT-AX864U as the router. 

The speeds are fine and while the ping could be better it is still consistently around 20ms. 

However I am finding that the connection dips very often. If I am watching live videos on YouTube the quality drops to 144p or 240p on a regular basis and I have to auto select a higher quality. Buffering is an issue too. I have also noticed lagging issues when gaming via PS4 using a wired connection. 

I have tried adjusting the QoS on the Asus router which just made the issue worse. 

I have set up a BQM (attached) which seems to show no issues so I'm really unsure what could be causing the problems? 

49191da40a5db28998e775c9618da6c3c82b2ebc-19-04-2021.png

36 REPLIES 36

Hi @Gareth_L 

I have rebooted the hub. 

Thanks Robasmith

All looking better now from here 

Can you monitor it for 24 more hours and see if it continues to fluctuate please 

Gareth_L

Will do @Gareth_L 

Thanks for your time. 

Thanks Robasmith

Gareth_L

Hi @Gareth_L 

Unfortunately this hasn't worked - I'm still unable to watch YouTube videos without constant buffering - the quality auto selects 144p (360p if I'm very lucky). I'm able to manually select a higher resolution but the buffering every ten seconds makes it unwatchable. 

Similar issues with gaming (severe lagging even on a wired connection). 

I've ran a few ping tests (rather than just relying on the BQM) and the jitter is causing issues, the ping spikes are just so constant that it's making the internet pretty much unusable (a jitter of 50-100ms is pretty common).

There's also more consistent packet loss since we last spoke. And the average ping has increased. 

I'm at my wits end here - over £60pm for the internet service that I'm hardly able to use ☹️

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1947bdda4fdf389a5175d8ca6dde8799693627ca

Hi Robasmith,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having some issues. 

I've had a look and can see there are some hub levels that are out of specification, It will be something I'll need to arrange a technician for.

I've sent you a private message so I can get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

Thanks very much for popping your details over to me via private message 🙂

I've arrange the technician for you now, you can view the time and date of your appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm

Robasmith
On our wavelength

Hey Alex_Rm 

There's no appointments showing on my account yet. I guess it could take a little while to appear? 

Ah, not to worry- I'll let you know via private message 🙂

Alex_Rm

Robasmith
On our wavelength
  • Hi @Alex_RM 

So it is worse than ever now 🤣 

The engineer visited and said the levels were out again. He sorted them and then he checked again 5 minutes later and they were out of spec again! 

I was told someone from the networking team would contact me as there's likely an issue with the box outside. But I've heard nothing back. 

I've had to finally submit a complaint to Virgin Media about it which I really didn't want to do but I can't carry on having such a bad service. 2 months of paying over £60pm for such a sporadic service just doesn't seem reasonable. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1947bdda4fdf389a5175d8ca6dde8799693627ca

I guess there's not much more that anyone here can help with at this stage? But I wanted to thank everyone for their quick responses in arranging the engineer visits, it's so much more efficient coming to the forum over trying to reach Virgin on the phone. So yeah, thanks everyone!