cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Blue Light on Hub 5X

Riche90
Dialled in

Had engineer in today to fit new Virgin XGS PON connection, went without issue, speed is beautiful and swapped everything I have over. 

Sit down on the night having an important conversation with a colleague and boom. Hub disconnects. Check the router panel/diagnostics and it’s reporting everything is fine. No devices are working after waiting a good 20 minutes. 

Restart the hub. Blue flashing light, no amount of resetting or restarting is fixing it. Is Virgin a bad idea for someone who needs to reliably work from home with one connection? I’m starting to regret this already after reading how people are going days without internet at times.. when searching for blue flashing light posts. This is my first 8 hours connected and it’s dead already, leaving me connectionless as I removed all the VDSL bits.

Any advice for me? The control page is so basic as to be literally useless. It runs diagnostics now, tells me there’s a connection issue and then in the quick tips suggests I check if I have a connection? Well duh. 🤪 

27 REPLIES 27

Riche90
Dialled in

Right so 8th restart is a charm after looking at this blue light for an hour. Not sure if it was the restart or just an unknown amount of time for it to figure itself out.

I would still love some advice on it though. I need to be able to rely on this connection. The hub 5X panel is so basic, it's embarrassing. No custom DNS options? No modem mode? I thought this was the flagship XGS PON router? The diagnostic says I have no broadband connection, over the top of the page which says I am ONLINE in green. The tips under the diagnostic saying to CHECK IF I HAVE A CONNECTION.. when that's the purpose of the diagnostic fundamentally. Jesus christ. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think when the blue LED is flashing it is doing an update, but I may be wrong. Try checking if there is an area fault: 

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

Other option are power off/on and/or pin-hole reset.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Just a note you shouldn't be relying on a residential connection for working from home.

There is no SLA, and no agreement on the expected uptime.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@carl_pearce. Yes that's always been the case. But since the lockdown with WFH being very common I think we have come to expect a reasonably reliable service. 

Failures in service are understandable and have to be accepted, but cases like this one where VM fails to provide reliable working equipment are entirely unreasonable. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

If the contracts haven't changed to take into consideration working from home I don't see why we should expect a more reliable service.

A backup connection is required, using the employer contribution to your internet bill. If they aren't providing one they should!

I think even ignoring the WFH context, I and everyone else should be expecting a reliable service, why would you expect less? Just because of how it always has been?

Should you need a business account or second main connection from the grid else have it be acceptable for your electric to cut out at random? To me whether I’m enjoying a movie with the mrs, video calling family during important times or just playing online games. I pay for continuous service and if it ceases unexpectedly while I’m paying and leaves me sat twiddling my thumbs.. that’s not good enough. 

Also yeah with how it’s not the future any more to work from home I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect home broadband would facilitate home working reliably, if you aren’t running a business. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Let's be clear here. This thread is about a customer not getting a satisfactory connection at the start of their contract.

The contract specifies how the service may be used. This includes home working, but not running a business.  VM will be aware of the increase in WFH and might reasonably be expected to allow for this. 

When the service is working normally, failures should be few and far between so that the customer may use it as designed which includes working from home. But Virginmedia does not guarantee continuous service, and customers must accept that. So if the connection is vital to us we either provide a backup connection (my 4g backup has been very useful on several occasions) or accept that there will be occasional breaks in service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

It’s out again. No idea when it’s going to come back up. Second outage in a week. Nothing in the router panel which tells me anything. It also spams the same thing over and over about signal strength. The internet is down over wire too obviously. Also the router page still says ‘online’ but the test confirms I am not. Jesus. 

Also I get that no infrastructure or anything for that matter is immune to outage. Just two outages in my first week when I’ve never had an outage with ADSL is crazy. I could rely on my ADSL line, is fibre inherently less reliable? 

IMG_2108.jpeg

Came back up, now down again about 5 hours later. Mid video call with family. This is awesome.