Menu
kateab
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fixing issues with WiFi dropping out, possibly lots of devices

Hi

we have a Hub 3.0 which we have had a few months as part of our package with two v6 boxes, landline and 300Mbps bband. The hub does seem to reboot itself but I’ve noticed that some of the time, devices are losIng WiFi signal but others aren’t. Eg if my husband I are sat in the same room, both on iPads, sometimes mine will drop and his will be fine and vice versa, so that is not because the router has rebooted. Oh, and we rarely get anything close to 300 in terms of speed. 

I’ve been reading posts here that suggest we might be best off getting a router. We have a lot of devices in our household. There are

3 iphones

1 Android phone

2 ipads

1 iPad mini

1 Xbox One

2 laptops (and OH very occasionally uses his work laptop at home. 

4 Echo dots

1 Echo Spot

3 fire sticks

1 Smart TV

1 Cisco work phone attached by Ethernet to the back of the hub  (I work from home so need phone and laptop but even I’ve had issues working in the same room as the hub 3.0 with the laptop dropping WiFi. )

so my questions are:

1. Would a router give us a better service without the regular dropping out and allow for more devices? 

2. What do I need to be looking for when buying a router? Is there one people would recommend particularly, or anyone to avoid?

3. Are they easy to set up myself? I worked in IT Support and management for about 20 years until about 8 years ago and if someone gives me instructions, I can usually figure things out but there were always a few things I’d leave to engineers. 

Thanks in advance for your help and Happy 2019! 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fixing issues with WiFi dropping out, possibly lots of devices

You have a lot of WiFi devices, I would recommend a good quality Wireless Access Point. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
spegraidn
Settling in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You have a lot of WiFi devices, I would recommend a good quality Wireless Access Point. Every device has an unique IP Address hope you know that if not then I'll tell you some.

192.168.1.1 is the most famous IP Address, this IP Address owns so many router manufacture companies. and another one I am telling you is 10.0.0.1 only Apple devices own it so far. 

Here I am giving a link https://routers.mobi/ go to this website and find your ip address and when you will click on the your IP you will be redirected to easy guide which will help you to fix your problem. Thanks

P.S.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

192.168.1.1 is a class C private intranet address, it’s not “owned” by anybody, as is the class A address 10.0.0.1. 

Routers always have at least two addresses, normally as far as general users are concerned, one is their Internet address and one is their Intranet address. Routers do not have fixed addresses, you can give them any private intranet address, although they are shipped with a default address. My intranet routers address is always set to x.x.x.254

The hubs used by VM, are not really routers, they are multi function devices, providing modem, routing, network switch and Wireless Access Point. A router is a device that that only moves data between two separate networks, it provides the NAT function and may also include a DNS and DHCP server.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Take a look at the Ubiquiti range of wireless access points - these are well regarded on here. Just be aware that these can get their power supply from a "power over ethernet" cable - but the VM Hubs dont deliver P.O.E. so you will need a P.O.E switch or they will need plugging in to a socket.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Usually Ubiquiti WAPs are provided with a POE injector, mine certainly were, athouh I do not use them I have 3 POE switches.

Tudor
0 Kudos
kateab
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the Ubiquiti rec. just looked them up and there are tons of different models! Is there any particular one?
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kateab,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try the following so we can rule some things out:

Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.

Try on separate devices.

Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.

Check wireless card slide.

It may also help to separate the WiFi modes:

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.

Let us know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos