Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Firewall disabled blocks my Pi

Hi, i have a RaspberryPi connected via ethernet to the Hub3 which i use to access my network remotely. I have forward all necessary ports, 22, 80, etc and it has always worked perfectly.

Now my gf needs to use a VPN for work, and i see there are issues with virgin hub 3 not being able to select IPSec pass-through (videos online show this being done on hub2). So, her vpn to work only works if we disable the Firewall in the hub.

Burt now if i try to connect to the Pi, ssh for example, i always get "connection refused". Why is Pi being blocked when Firewall is off? Are port forward rules not enforced if Firewall is off? Anything i can do to access the Pi while keeping Firewall disabled?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Firewall disabled blocks my Pi

Hello

If the firewall is turned off then no port forwarding will work, I am afraid to have port forward working you have to have the firewall enabled as that is what does the forwarding.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I see. Understood.

Solution is have Firewall back on and try to figure a way for the vpn to work as well.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The only configurations are

Hub 3 firewall.

On for port forwarding to work.

Off for VPN to work.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You could use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports to have both VPN and port forwarding.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding is essentially a firewall rule, that is why it has to be turned on. With a good quality router you can see all the firewall rules and adjust them to whatever you want. The VM hubs being a cheap modem and router lacks many facilities that are needed by a large number of people. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2