Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Firestick and Ethernet

Hi,

I'm struggling with my wifi connection to my Firestick so I've purchased a Cat8 ethernet cable and have it connected this way. I'm on a 200mb connection but when I run a speed test a barely get around 25mbs. When I plug the same cable into my laptop though I get over 220mbs.

Why is it so slow to my Firestick?

Any help to improve matters would be apprecaited!

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Firestick and Ethernet

Firesticks aren’t meant to be super fast. It’s just one of the downsides of them. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

With the ethernet cable connected to the Firestick login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the Firestick ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.....

amazon-11fccd328**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.20/24100Ethernet

Thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The Firestick does not have an ethernet connection so what are you using as the ethernet adaptor?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I’m using the Amazon adaptor specifically for this purpose.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So this reports a speed of 100Mbps but when I run a test on an App on the Firestick it reports 25Mbps. Which is right?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TBH the speed that you are getting I would consider as excellent for an HDM connection.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's a theoretical throughput speed

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So the conclusion is that the Firestick isnt able to handle high speeds?

Even when I plug the cable direct into the TV, the only get around 20Mbs there. Why would this be?

0 Kudos