Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Fibre keeps dropping out

Hi

Ive been having problems for the last month with my connection dropping out. So far I’ve had my modem replaced and that’s given way faster speeds BUT I’m still having to restart 4/5 times a day when I’m the only device connected. This fixes things but obviously kicks me out of Zoom calls and makes working from cloud docs a nightmare.

I finally got a technician around last night who ‘changed a faulty connection in PLT (?) and changed WiFi settings’.

This morning I was kicked off a zoom call so clearly issue isn’t fixed.

Can anyone offer any solutions as this is driving me up the wall and I can’t work - or get hold of anyone on the phone. 2 calls kicked out of the queue today after an hour each 🤯

Thanks

Jen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Fibre dropping out

Hi

Ive been having problems for the last month with my connection dropping out. So far I’ve had my modem replaced and that’s given way faster speeds BUT I’m still having to restart 4/5 times a day when I’m the only device connected. This fixes things but obviously kicks me out of Zoom calls and makes working from cloud docs a nightmare.

I finally got a technician around last night who ‘changed a faulty connection in PLT (?) and changed WiFi settings’.

This morning I was kicked off a zoom call so clearly issue isn’t fixed.

Can anyone offer any solutions as this is driving me up the wall and I can’t work - or get hold of anyone on the phone. 2 calls kicked out of the queue today after an hour each 🤯

Thanks

Jen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fibre keeps dropping out

Do wired connections also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you’re doing any kind of zoom/Teams calls, then if you can use an Ethernet cable, rather than WiFi. Also, the home hub is not really optimal for working from home/video meetings, its a home device. So investing in a new router that offers QOS (Quality of Service, you can prioritise your Zoom/Teams calls over all the other data flowing on your network), would be a benefit. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have a Lenovo netbook which doesn’t have a port to connect to modem via cable so I haven’t been able to test this.

Would this not have been tested by the tech who came yesterday though? 

thanks

jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the response. The thing is it’s dropping off when I’m the only device connecting. I could completely understand needing a better modem if I had lots of traffic but I don’t, it’s just me connecting from within the same room as the modem. 

Surely this should work on a home network? Thanks

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@JenG wrote:

Hi

I have a Lenovo netbook which doesn’t have a port to connect to modem via cable so I haven’t been able to test this.

Would this not have been tested by the tech who came yesterday though? 

thanks

jen

No. That’s for users to check.

If it’s just Wi-Fi dropping then it’s not a network issue and therefore nothing for Virgin to fix. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

JFYI - You can connect any laptop to the Hub by ethernet cable if you get the right "adapter". My MacbookAir has no ethernet port - but I have a USB3-RJ45 adapter which does the job nicely. Others are available for other lappy ports - USBc, Thunderbolt, Firewire, MicroUSB, etc., - form the usual online places for <£10. Get a good Cat6 patch cable at the same time 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@JenG wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the response. The thing is it’s dropping off when I’m the only device connecting. I could completely understand needing a better modem if I had lots of traffic but I don’t, it’s just me connecting from within the same room as the modem. 

Surely this should work on a home network? Thanks

Jen

We can at least check the HUB stats to ensure they are in spec.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.100.1 for modem mode . You shouldn't need log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs? Please copy/paste this data as text, split between multiple posts (Sometimes you have to click 'Post' twice due to an error message).

Could you please create a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor) here, and post the live link?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen, here’s some adapters that will work 🙂 https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=usb+ethernet+adapter&crid=2G9IPF7H5A5YE&sprefix=USB+eth%2Caps%2C173&ref...

pick one that matches the ports on your laptop 🙂 

0 Kudos