cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Issues. - ?Broken cable / Terrible customer service.

Ckennedy88
Tuning in

Hi Folks. 

Hoping others may have had the same issue and can advise how to progress. Like many others, I'm still annoyed that VM attempted to increase prices, despite agreeing to a contract with us until x period of time. I feel sorry for those that didn't challenge it and may now be paying more. 
We regularly have outages and issues with speed, but we've now had a total loss of service. I called VM for help twice yesterday, and struggled heavily with customer service. I advised that when I used the service checker, it was listing an issue with TV within my area that a technician was working on and aimed to have resolved by today by 1600. I was told there was no issue and that when testing our broadband they were getting signal to our address. We were told multiple times to turn the hub off & on. Advising that I should leave it off for 40-60 seconds before turning it on where it may take 15-40 minutes for it to come back online fully. Within <10 seconds of trying this (multiple times), I would be asked if everything was working again. Clearly not as they'd previously advised it could take prolonged periods to come online again. 
It was then suggested that it was the WiFi signal inside the house causing the issues, despite telling the tech support that we use ethernet for the computers. My partner works from home, and as such has been unable to for the last 48 hours. We've had to make alternative plans which isn't ideal, but managing. It was ultimately advised a technician would have to visit the address and we were issued a 4 hour slot. The chap showed up towards the end of the time slot, and quickly advised the fibre is broken as we've had a total loss of service. He said it would have to be another company (Kier) that come to replace it as VM don't deal with that. 😐. I'm still awaiting their arrival as I was told that he couldn't give me a time or date, but hopefully today at some point. I'm stuck in the house when I have a thousand things to do awaiting their arrival. We were advised when the install took place that they would bury the cable under the ground. However it's since come to light that they've opted to tuck it under weed fabric or piles of bark / leaves on the ground. We only discovered this as my neighbour was repairing a wall and informed us. I thought my neighbour may have either moved the wire or damaged it somehow, but when I pulled back the fabric to look it's clear that it's not been moved for some time. 

Fibre 1.jpg

I had a look at the box he said had no lights showing at the front of the house. It's a 'Boostral 710'. i can see 'Opt in' has a red light. Power is green, and there's no light showing for 'Opt out'. Has anyone had similar issues? I'm just concerned at this point when Kier show up. They'll then tell me it's not an issue with the fibre and the saga will keep going. VM have advised they do not refund money until you're >72 hours with no service. I genuinely feel the service has been horrendous, but as BT / SKY speeds are so slow we are trapped with them. Hope others are fairing better!

Fibre 2.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ckennedy88 wrote:

Hi Folks. 

<snip>

I had a look at the box he said had no lights showing at the front of the house. It's a 'Boostral 710'. i can see 'Opt in' has a red light. Power is green, and there's no light showing for 'Opt out'. Has anyone had similar issues? I'm just concerned at this point when Kier show up. They'll then tell me it's not an issue with the fibre and the saga will keep going. VM have advised they do not refund money until you're >72 hours with no service. I genuinely feel the service has been horrendous, but as BT / SKY speeds are so slow we are trapped with them. Hope others are fairing better!

I think your 'Opt In' light should be green for normal operation and red indicates a problem.

If your fibre cable is damaged then I believe the contractor will blow through a new fibre.

You may want to start considering some backup options to deploy in case there is some sort of problem with renewing the fibre, should that be necessary.

Poor coordination and organisation between VM and its sub-contractors is a regular source of complaint on the forums.

Thank you. 

Kier attended very quickly in fairness to them. Slated the VM install. Advised that they shouldn't have bent the fibre and think they laid it under weed fabric to save time. They tried some size of fibre, before saying there was some sort of issue with it blowing or soemthing. Not massively sure what they meant. Ended up saying they'd try to get back, but likely tomorrow. Still zero contact from VM. Awful service. 

Have said to my partner her employer should ideally be providing some internet back up for general use. However. We pay VM more than enough. Should get the service we pay for. 

Ckennedy88
Tuning in

Day 5 -

Three scheduled visits that have not been attended. Still experiencing a full loss of service. An e-mail today explaining that the problem looks like it has been fixed and the case has been closed. 50+ calls to virgin media. Failed web chats. Failed tweets. Failed phone calls.

SERIOUSLY!!? - How do you actually speak to someone that will take charge and sort this issue. Someone from VM messaged me privately. Yet again asking me to confirm details. This process took about 50 minutes. Then they never responded. I take it they finished for the evening. Thanks for that @Carley_S.

Any time I call now. It's the same "I can see there is someone booked to attend today". Then when you advise this has been the case for three days, they say they'll send an e-mail for someone to be assigned. I thought they already were!?

Do consider making Ofcom aware of the issue faced by filling in their monitoring form here: Tell Ofcom

Hi @Ckennedy88 

I understand you have been speaking to my colleague in relation to this via PM and then again on WebChat since posting here.  

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs