Few and far between broadband connection with baffling customer service - M500 Area 20.
I am a new account holder with Virgin Media, having been set up on 19th October. I signed up for the Ultimate Oomph Package with MaxIT TV and M500 broadband, having previously been with Sky.
The installation went ok, with the only issue being that the connection from my house to the street cabinet had been cut (we are not sure how or why), so the installation engineer set up a temporary connection to next door's house as there's wasn't being used and was connected to the street cabinet fine. He told me that he'd booked a cable re-pull/sorting job for Wednesday 28th October. He reassured me that the broadband connection would be fine under this temporary measure.
For the first week or so, the broadband connection (and, therefore, TV connection) was fine. Speeds were not around 500 mark, averaging between 150-350 in the same room as the broadband. Whilst annoyed at this, I came to the conclusion that this may be due to the router itself and therefore need a more powerful router (having trawled through the forums of people with similar issues), however also did try some ways of tinkering with the settings (splitting SSIDs into 2.4ghz and 5ghz separate, channel optimisation for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, changing banding range to 20/40 and 20/40/80, disable Smart WiFi/channel optimisation).
However after a week on Monday 26th November, my broadband connection cut out and has been very erratic ever since. I have ensured all cables to the router, switch and wall box are finger tight. I thought the issues may have been caused my attempted setting optimisation, so I reset the tampered settings, I have rebooted the router countless times, and have also conducted a router factory reset, all to no avail. There was never any issue with the service in the area either, having checked frequently throughout the week, except for one issue I saw Friday 30th (I think). This one issue was resolved quickly and occurred well after my issues started. The app told me that broadband was set up and working as expected in my area. I also checked the cabling on the outside and to my neighbours house, this had not been touched since the installation and remained in place.
Virgin Media troubleshooting area of the website told me to book an engineer as it was not clear what the issues were and what the solutions would be. I booked an engineer for Thursday 29th October between 8am - 12pm.
Wednesday 28th October comes and whilst changes to the pavement and road had been made to sort out the connection, this was a third party road maintenance company who carried this out and told us that the actual cable job is one to be done separately now by Virgin Media at another time. Hmm... not what my Installation Engineer told me but fine.
Thursday 29th October comes and I get a phone call from the technical engineer to tell me he will be at my house for 10:30am. 10:25am comes and he rings me back to tell me that the job had *just* been cancelled as he was around the corner from my house, he was not sure of the reason why and I need to get into contact with Virgin Media Customer Service.
Passed back and forth on the phone to Customer Service who eventually tell me that the cable repull/sorting job has now been rescheduled for 20th November, and this was the reason for the cancellation. I disputed this, based on the reassurances the Installation Engineer gave me, the fact that the broadband was fine for a week with the temporary cable connection. So therefore, as far as I am concerned, the engineer visit on Thursday was a separate issue to the proactive, 'nice to have' cable sorting appointment and therefore should not have been cancelled (especially 5 minutes before the engineer is due to arrive, literally around the corner when he rang!). They told me that there was nothing I could do, I could not get the engineer to come back again as I had requested. I hope you can all appreciate and understand how I was rather bemused with all this, to say the least.
I finally got hold of a Customer Service employee based in the UK who, thankfully, was understanding and empathetic to the situation. She stated that there were actually no notes, comments, statuses etc. on my account that confirm why exactly my appointment had been cancelled so last minute (!), so it seems that the other Customer Service employees I spoke to prior had mistaken a separate, proactive appointment in November for the reason of this cancellation. Again, I reiterate that the Installation Engineer assured me that the temporary cable connection to next door's house shouldn't have an impact on the broadband connection, and this is backed up by the fact the broadband connection was connected fine for the week after the installation. She informed me that she would get in contact with the Technical Area Managers relevant to my Area, raised internally as urgent and that they would get back into contact with me. As of now, I have not heard back.
I have a conversation going on the text messaging service but this is going rather slowly, so I have signed up to the community forums and posting this as a last resort. Again, based on what I have seen in the other forums, I will post my BQM that I've had set up since Thursday evening as well as the router status diagnostics in the messages following this.