Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Fed up - printer not working - splitting 2.4 and 5ghz

Hello

We recently moved house and the property did not have BT broadband.  Previous property we had BT, no issues whatsoever, all devices connected to the wifi without issue (e.g. phones, smart TV) including a wireless Brother HL1212W printer that is probably one of the best home desktop printers I have ever owned.

Ever since moving into the new property with Virgin Media (I believe it is a Hub 3.0), I am having endless issues.  The wifi works perfectly on all devices except my printer if the default settings are applied where 5 and 2.4 Ghz seem to be mixed.  I then tried renaming each one to "split" them out on the wifi and this immediately solved the issue I had with my printer - it printed perfectly.  HOWEVER, that then resulted in our smart TV and other devices continually "dropping off" the WiFi and an unstable Wifi connection.

I then tried to log into the Hub settings by punching in the Hub password (as I had done previously when I reset the hub) and it keeps saying that the password is incorrect.  The only workaround is to continually reset the hub which then allows me back into the hub settings online - and then when I change the password again to something sensible, I can't log back into the hub as it says password incorrect! ARGH!

So my issues are:

1. How can I get ALL devices to work on my wifi without there being an either / or situation (i.e. either use the printer on 2.4 ghz and lose reliability of other devices OR have a mixed signal which means I cannot use the printer)

2. What is the issue with the password always being incorrect with the Hub?  This is very annoying and means I keep having to reset the hub.

Is this something I need a Virgin engineer to resolve? I am at a loss and need access to my printer for work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fed up - printer not working - splitting 2.4 and 5ghz

Firstly reset the Hub and stick with the default password, some Hubs have problems with the new passwords.

Next Wi-Fi management, it looks like you may have done some of this but go through it to make sure. Note that if you reset the Hub back to factory settings you will lose these settings.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Let us know when you have completed the Wi-Fi set up and we can look at the printer.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have followed all of your steps and have split the wifi into 2 and 5.

However, the printer is having none of it.  Is the only solution to take 5 out completely and limit to 2 only?  I think that's what got it to work last time... or would this just result in all devices running at a slower speed?

Kind regards

GL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

In the printer settings what is the IP address of the Printer ?

My guess is it is something along the lines of 192.168.1.xx

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

It isn't showing an IP address - just says the printer is offline (it is plugged in and switched on - my computers just won't recognise it...)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Does the printer use a Wi-Fi or ethernet cable connection ?

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You may want to consider what many of the regulars in this forum have done, of buying your own router or mesh wifi system.  The quality of devices from companies like Asus, TP-Link, Netgear and so on is comprehensively better than the Poundland* router built into VM's hubs.

Having said, that, wireless printers are the work of the devil himself.  I've got a mid-high price Canon, and from time to time it's a PITA even with a decent mesh system.  

* I can't help thinking that I'm being unfair to Poundland in that statement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

It is a wifi connection.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Open the Hub 3 settings and look in the connected devices.

If it is listed it should have an IP of 192.168.0.xx.

Then ensure that your PC is using the same IP Address.

I reckon the PC is looking for it at IP 192.168.1.zz which is a BT LAN IP Address.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

The printer is not listed as a connected device in the Hub 3.0 settings.

Just at a loss as to why the printer just does not work anymore at all - worked fine on BT.  I've even disabled 5ghz and so it's only running on 2.4 (oh btw the printer company said it only connected to 2.4 ghz and not 5). 

Many thanks

0 Kudos