Menu
Mrmarvel1984
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Faulty hub 3

I've seen this posted else where without a satisfactory conclusion, but here I go. I've had a hub3 for many years and never had a problem.

Recently every device comes up with weak WiFi. I live in a detached house, the router has not moved and the number of WiFi signals from neighbours have not increased. 

I've restarted and reset the router multiple times. I work as a openreach engineer, if there's anything internal that can be done, I've done it. I've called your help line and which didn't offer any useful help. I don't want to have to buy boosters or a new router to plaster over a problem rather than fix it.

Screenshot_20210214_075955_com.android.chrome.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty hub 3

Do you get good signal strength and throughput with the devices (putting aside that report) ?

You say no extra signals from the neighbours - but have their channels changed?

Any other sources of interference?

Have you used a Wi-Fi analyser app ?  If not do a scan in various places around the property - preferably with one that shows noise as well as channel  occupancy - Netspot and inSSIDer are available free for Windows (and Netspot for Mac)  and various free ones for Android.

See if changing channels helps...

Are wired connections OK?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Mrmarvel1984
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Could there be other sources of interference? Yes, always a possibility. Not everyone broadcasts their SSID. I've checked using a WiFi analyser I can see other WiFi signals, 4 in all. The channels are suppose to be dynamic, tried a static channel for a few days but it eventually drops and can lose signal from 10feet away.

I'd have to dust of a laptop and ethernet cable for a wired connection, not there yet.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's always a possibility that the hub is faulty, or a firmware update to it has broken something for you.

Look at getting a better router and put the hub in modem mode.

If you can lay your hands on a BT Smart Hub  they're pretty good (best of the ISP routers in my view) and use it as an additional Wi-Fi access point, still keeping the VM hub as the router - preferably with an Ethernet connection to cover both sides/floors of the home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos