Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Fast speeds but unreliable/intermittent (M500)

We have recently upgraded to the Ultimate Oomph package (being customers for 14 years with VM and were absolutely ripping us off for about a year with an absolute sub par package for the price we paid we kicked up a fuss)

(Router: Upstairs, PS4: Upstairs)

So we have had our router updated to the latest 500mb speeds but I have noticed in particular on my PS4 the amount of times my connection just completely drops out and I disconnect from the PSN servers is so frequent, it happens at least every half an hour. Prior to this my PS4 didn't have such problems or at least no where near as frequent. I have tried reboots and a few other troubleshooting but it obviously seems to be the new high speed is very unreliable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fast speeds but unreliable/intermittent (M500)

What is your connection like using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

connected directly to the hub via ethernet on a regular lenovo laptop a few days ago but with other devices still connected and i think it was over 500mb speed it showed when doing a test

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are happy that VM are delivering the contracted speed to the Hub it looks like you have a Wi-Fi problem.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, some helpful advice in terms of the actual Wi-Fi needs to be addressed and I'll try some of these. However it's a bit of coincidence that the frequency of me completely disconnecting is higher after we've upgraded the speed in the exact same set-up we had before the 500mb upgrade?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes it is pure coincidence. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I have different package and location, however VM do have problems with continue throughput problem. Importantly is what mode you are running VM hub in Router of Mode(connected to your own router with your own wifi).  However in either mode when you run a single tests this will normally prove you are getting the contracted  download & upload rate. However if you run test over a period you and plot it, you will then large difference in speeds (Mbs) in both upload and download speeds. As I see it the VM Hub cable modem it is optimized for Wifi 5Ghz is faster than 2.5Ghz.  Importantly with Hub in Router mode you can customise WiFi setting Mode type,  bandwidth allocation, channels etc. VM do state Direct connected CAT5 Ethernet will have a lower download & upload rate. The Hubs are just a poor cheap designed 

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@pmfisher43 wrote:

Hi 

I have different package and location, however VM do have problems with continue throughput problem. Importantly is what mode you are running VM hub in Router of Mode(connected to your own router with your own wifi).  However in either mode when you run a single tests this will normally prove you are getting the contracted  download & upload rate. However if you run test over a period you and plot it, you will then large difference in speeds (Mbs) in both upload and download speeds. As I see it the VM Hub cable modem it is optimized for Wifi 5Ghz is faster than 2.5Ghz.  Importantly with Hub in Router mode you can customise WiFi setting Mode type,  bandwidth allocation, channels etc. VM do state Direct connected CAT5 Ethernet will have a lower download & upload rate. The Hubs are just a poor cheap designed 

Sorry, what? Can you translate that into something more legible?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry for the tech response 

VM Hub3 by default(OTB) set as a Router so this terminate the VM Cable services present within the house internet using either Wifi & Direct connected CA5/6e ethernet (four ports on pack of Hub). The Wifi offers two Radio frequency bandwidth(5&2.5Ghz) which a device(mobile phone etc) can use depending on device capability. The Wifi Radio frequency bandwidth(5Ghz) gives you more internet speed however at this higher bandwidth there are caveats the Radio frequency bandwidth transmission distance where say a mobile can stay connected different types building material etc can reduce distance. "2.5Ghz will give you lower internet speed how the Radio frequency bandwidth transmission distance is much greater. Running as a router you can extend the CA5/6e ethernet within the house using Powerline sockets to deliver it to different rooms same principle as WifI extenders

VM Hub3 in Modem mode(when you need more dedicated Internet bandwidth into the house and VM Hub3 in this mode is just a network termination)  you have to connect your own WifI/Router device to the VM Hub and his device will provide all the Internet services intelligence within a house

You can connect your own WifI/Router device to the VM Hub3 when running a router I am running in this mode more so to protect any IP connected devices(i.e CCTV etc) from loosing connectivity if VM hub/services is lost /goes down as it seem regularly do at present and can creates havoc to the network connected devices within your house.

Touch the technical aspect of Broadband speed test if you say use a mobile and can choose the what Wifi you are connected to the Wifi name can give you a clue( 5 or 2.5Ghz) when you connect to each in turn you then run the Broadband speed test each time you will see a difference in the Upload and download recorded speed and connected WiFi 5Ghz "should" provide the fastest 2.5Gz will be slightly slower and CA5/6e ethernet connected via a PC either Physical or USB ethernet should be similar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you actually asking a question or just posting stuff for the sake of it?

Also there is no 2.5Ghz band,...

0 Kudos