Menu
BCot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

False advertising, Terrible customer service!

BASICALLY: Virgin false advertising on the terms and conditions of their website, and providing no clear solutions for members of their biggest available bundle in the local area.

We switched to Virgin in July 2020 onto the Ultimate Oomph bundle. This bundle theoretically supports 512 megabits per second broadband, wired connection. Still, Virgin's terms and conditions state that you should get at least 50% of this speed on your devices. Both on mobile devices and my PC using a TP Link wifi adapter and a TP Link £80 router, we've never had a single speedtest above 113Mbps download on the PC, and only ever 42Mbps upload. The connection to the PC is wireless, sure, with 2 walls inbetween the router, sure. But on the same floor, using a custom router (as the Hub 3 is terrible and yet we can't get the Hub 4).

WiFi Booster eligibility info.png

In one of the pictures attatched the terms and conditions on the site (here) clearly state that a free wifi booster is eligible for customers on Maxit TV packages and above. We are on Maxit TV and M600 broadband according to my package page on my account. When I called Virgin the first time after waiting 2 hours on the phone they told me a monthly booster would be a monthly charge of £3, and they didn't even check to ask what package we were on. After finding the information that the booster SHOULD be free, with a second if a problem is adressed over the phone with an agent, I called again today, and after another hour they told me "the information on the website is actually old, it isn't up to date, and the boosters are no longer free, and we also don't give them out". I was told to fix poor WiFi speeds I'd have to get a Hub 4 router (which likely isn't available in my area), or I'd have to buy a third party WiFi booster, or have the PC connected via Ethernet cabling which we don't want to do in the house. I don't want to have to pay, and shouldn't have to pay, for even more third party equipment after a router, to make up for how terrible my provider's equipment is despite taking £80 from us every month for the best they have to offer in our area.

Virgin Media Broadband Speed Policy.png

So we are likely  going to leave Virgin Media. The terms and conditions of their website (here) state that if you recieve under the Miminum Guaranteed Download Speed (50% of your package max) for 3 consecutive days or more, you can leave without charge. We've only ever had 500Mbps download speed ONCE, on a phone, on a freshly reset Hub 3 on 5GHz channel, siting right next to the router. That went down to 200Mbps within the day. But hey, the terms of conditions on that page are probably "old and outdated" as well, knowing them.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: False advertising, Terrible customer service!

The minimum guaranteed speed applies to wired devices only, not wireless.
This is also on the speed guarantee you refer to in your post.

You need to test on a wired connection wired direct to the hub.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
BCot
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The customer support still have not been helpful with having their website displaying information that I'm later told is "outdated" about the boosters, and then giving my options as spending more money on third party equipment.

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I suggest we break this down into manageable elements.  I'll let anybody who wants to chip on VM customer service, and the broken, inaccurate web site.  And if you think a Hub 4 will improve wifi, then....well, you're going to be VERY disappointed if you ever get one.

But to concentrate on the speed issue.  First up, I'd like you to setup a BQM, as that will show if there's problems with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.  Whilst that runs, I suggest you post the hub's status data for us to check out.  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  All we need is the contents of the three titled Downstream, Upstream, Network log.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Don't post as screenshots or images, there'a fistful of reasons to avoid doing that.  When we've got the status data we can check for obvious power or noise problems.

If all of that draws blank we can focus on wifi performance as a probable culprit. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The best thing to do is put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system,

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don't buy a router or mesh system until we've established that the cable broadband is working properly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BCot
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've already bought a TP Link custom router, so to get this info I'll have to switch from Modem mode back to using the Virgin Hub 3 when it is most convenient, as the rest of my family need to use the Wi-Fi around the house for most of the day. As for the live graph I've set it up just now and I've also started reading into other articles on thinkbroadband.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@BCot wrote:
I've already bought a TP Link custom router, so to get this info I'll have to switch from Modem mode back to using the Virgin Hub 3 when it is most convenient, as the rest of my family need to use the Wi-Fi around the house for most of the day. As for the live graph I've set it up just now and I've also started reading into other articles on thinkbroadband.

To get what info?

Why would you need to switch back to router mode?

0 Kudos
BCot
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Because when using the custom router, the admin IP takes me to the TP Link router page rather than the Virgin Hub 3's page. That way, using the Hub 3, I can access the Downstream and Upstream info that the other user mentioned.

0 Kudos
BCot
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/72ebe599fb9bf3b4af7d62dbb10efe24ed...

Here's the link to the live graph. I haven't switched the router back to the Hub 3 yet so I haven't got the Downstream and Upstream etc info. I could use Ookla Speedtest for this by making several tests and sharing the results however if this is any use.

Apologies for the huge gap. I'm extremely busy at the moment and this genuinely isn't a top priority issue, just a frustrating one.

0 Kudos