Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Facebook video crashing

Hi - for the last week, when I'm watching videos on Facebook, the connection keeps dropping (I still seem to be connected to the internet - emails and web all working). It happens with all video that's longer than a couple of minutes - every single one without fail.

I've tried resetting the router (done that a few times) and it makes no difference. There's been no issue with streaming Netflix - it's just seems to be videos on Facebook (that said, I've not listened to any videos on YouTube for a while, so it may happen there too).

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Facebook video crashing

Try clearing your browser cache.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi - just tried it, hasn't helped - if anything, it's crashing sooner than before (this time just under 2 minutes in, instead of 4 minutes)!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi BabyHedgehog,

Welcome to the community forums and I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling to watch videos on Facebook without disruption. 

Do you have this issue across multiple devices and are you watching through the Facebook app or web page?

Also, have you tried watching the videos over your mobile data rather than home WiFi network to see if you still have the same issue?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

It's the Facebook webpage (not app) on my PC that is having problems (so can't try to connect to 4G) - no other platform is causing problems on the PC when watching videos.

Videos on the Facebook app work ok on the mobile - whether Wi-Fi or 4G

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Try another browser.

This isn’t internet related but more likely a local PC issue, possibly a lack of RAM. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me.

Since you aren't experiencing this issue whilst using the Facebook app on other devices, can you try using another web browser on your laptop to see if that fixes it?

Thanks 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok - was using Chrome - tried Edge (because it came installed with Windows 10, and I never got round to deleting it) and the video crash after 7 seconds, rather than running for a couple of minutes and then stopping!

Only had the PC for 3-4 months - and with 8GB RAM I would have assumed it wouldn't have problems handling a 5 minute video! (a previous contributor mentioned RAM)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Then it could be a graphic setting somewhere.

Check for updates on the graphics card manufacturers website and see if they’re all up to date as well. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi - double checked it - and it says it has the most up to date driver..... any other suggestions?

0 Kudos