Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

External wifi

I had 1gb fibre installed a few weeks ago and am happy enough however I took the opportunity to have the new fibre put into my main lounge (downstairs rear of traditional brick bungalow) as opposed to legacy front upper bedroom from talktalk days. I swapped my router and current WiFi extender from upper and lower rooms, both hard wired which previously had covered all the areas of the house for my WiFi cctv etc now the WiFi to front and side garage area is crap cctv cameras keep dropping off. I added extenders in 2 of the rooms between the router and to the farthest corner of the house (diagonal) and despite the new extender being only the width of the wall from the 3 cameras its made little difference. I am wondering if I can get virgin to bring a 2nd cable from my box on the outside of the house a few feet to where the cameras are so I can have an external wifi booster/aerial fitted. Anybody who is technically minded thing this is a good idea to fix the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: External wifi

Can you draw a simple line drawing of your network and upload it please ?

You explanation isn't very easy to understand.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM wont fit ethernet cabling for that purpose that you will have to do yourself. Run exterior grade Cat5e or better cable from the Hub to the point where you want the external wifi access point to be located.

There may be other solutions - such as getting a good quality internal Mesh wifi system and having one unit on a windowsill pointing to the external area.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys. What is baffling me is other than directly swapping my netgear router to the room the netgear extender was in and vice versa why that would suddenly cause the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am confused. Do you have your own Netgear Router and a wifi extender?

As Mike has asked a line drawing might help us understand what you have.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi “extenders” are not normally a good thing to use, if they work off WiFi they reduce bandwidth by 50% with each jump. Wired ones obviously work better.
Are you able to run Ethernet cable? If so can you run cable to them? UniFi sell a flex outdoor POE 5 port Ethernet switch (I have one powering 4 of my cameras), so if you can run a cable from indoors to outdoors, you could use this.

Another alternative is to use Powerline adapters, I prefer these to WiFi as they tend to be more stable, cheap and provide a good connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

• yes I put my netgear nighthawk with the virgin hub which was put into bridge/modem mode when the engineer installed the virgin. That's in the rear of my bungalow. In the hall outside that room I have a netgear extender the room next to that I have another netgear extender. Imagine a diagonal straight line cutting through the house from main router in back to 2nd extender. Thats the side my garage is on and the 3 cctv cameras are on both front and back of garage and side of house. The room directly behind the last room with the extender also has an extender. I have 2 dormer bedrooms at front above the room with the 2nd downstairs extender there is a netgear triband mesh extender in that bedroom as well. Before virgin the main router was in that room and the triband extender was where the router is at rear of house. I had no WiFi issues outside house intact I used to be able to sit in car parked on street and get a strong WiFi signal to hook my phone on but as I said its gone off now 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Can you please let us know what Netgear extenders you are using? Model number would be good.

I think the reason you had a better WiFi signal before was that your router puts out a strong signal. Moving it led to a weaker signal from the extender (again if it’s a wireless repeater, then it’s halving the bandwidth ).
questions:

1, If you now have 4 WiFi signals( the router and 3 extenders), how have you set up the channels? Are they now interfering with each other?

2. If they are wireless “extenders” then each one is reducing the bandwidth available

3. Are they all using the same SSID? If so how are you making sure the cctv cameras are connecting to the right extender?

4. For what it looks like you’re trying to achieve, you might be better off with different WiFi access points , take a look at UniFi 

5. Wired is inherently faster, more stable and more secure than WiFi, so move as many devices to wired as you can. There is limited WiFi bandwidth (or “cake”)  available (basically your WiFi router can talk to only one device at a time, the more devices on WiFi the the less “cake” for everyone). 

Worth a read https://www.screenbeam.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/differences-wifi-booster-wifi-extender-wifi-repeater...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

20201113_155153.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Too small for my ageing eyes 😞

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos