Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Extension to Hub 3.0

I'm trying to get broadband in my shed at the bottom of the garden - I have a CAT6 cable running to the shed from the router - can I just plug it in to the router (with an ethernet socket), and plug the other end into a new router and it will work? Is that how it's done?

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extension to Hub 3.0

@JMB2020 wrote:

I'm trying to get broadband in my shed at the bottom of the garden - I have a CAT6 cable running to the shed from the router - can I just plug it in to the router (with an ethernet socket), and plug the other end into a new router and it will work? Is that how it's done?

You don't need another router, just an Access Point (AP), or a switch and AP, depending on if you want additional ethernet points in the shed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes - but you dont need a 2nd router - that's overkill. Just put a wireless access point on it

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! So is an Access Point just a socket, into which I can plug the ethernet cable that goes from my Mac?

Alternatively, if I wanted actual WiFi in the shed, could I plug a small wifi box into the AP or ethernet socket, so that I could get online via WiFi in the shed?

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for being thick, but what is a Wireless Access Point?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

basically a switch with wireless capability

or An access point is a device that creates a wireless local area network, or WLAN, usually in an office or large building. An access point connects to a wired router, switch, or hub via an Ethernet cable, and projects a Wi-Fi signal to a designated area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh - just googled it - I see what you mean. Any that you'd particularly recommend?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are some good ones that also have 4 ethernet ports that act as an "inbuilt switch". That has pro's and cons of course - its only one device to plug in but if one part fails then it all needs to be replaced rather than just a switch or separate (cheaper) WAP

Here is an example of a good one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's only wireless N so will only extend the slower 2.4Ghz band.

TBH you can't cheap out on networking equipment.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos