cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending wifi

Shakey987
Joining in

Hi

We have just built a garden room, approximately 25 meters away from our hub.

Wanted to know if anyway I can get WiFi in the garden room?

I should of run a cable up the garden but didn't think at the time now garden is finished.

Cant use wifi extenders as room on different circuit to house.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you not run an exterior grade ethernet cable from the Hub to the garden room? Burying it is best but it can be run around a garden fence? This by far the "best" soliution.

But, there are also exterior wireless access points that could be mounted on an external wall pointing at the room that should reach that far - will also need an ethernt connection to the Hub for best performance although I think some are compatible with a wifi Mesh system.

Others will be able to comment better

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you not run an exterior grade ethernet cable from the Hub to the garden room? Burying it is best but it can be run around a garden fence? This by far the "best" soliution.

But, there are also exterior wireless access points that could be mounted on an external wall pointing at the room that should reach that far - will also need an ethernt connection to the Hub for best performance although I think some are compatible with a wifi Mesh system.

Others will be able to comment better

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply i think running a cable will be the best way, just annoying I didn't think of before as I have artificial grass now , will have to try tuck underneath. I didn't really want to disturb it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes that will be best - be creative about where it runs 🙂

Get at least Cat5e (Cat6a is best IMO) exterior grade cable and just stick a decent wifi access point with 1GB ports on the end of it and you will have good wifi and full speed ethernet connectivity from its lAN ports too.

--------------------
John
--------------------