Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Extending network with airport express

Can I? I have two spare airport express base stations.

Since installing the new VM hub 3 the signal seems very weak outside the room the hub is in.

I have several dead spots (our house is long and thin) that didn't exist before.

As we are all WFH now I need a good reliable signal over most of the house.

I have two TP link extenders that seem very unreliable and drop out many times a day and now wondering whether to invest in a mesh system.

Suggestions welcome

thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending network with airport express

Yes invest in the mesh system.

Provided it’s just the WiFi dropping and not wired connections as well (which would indicate a line problem). 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Don’t invest in a mesh system, it just seems to be the current buzz word for WiFi at the moment. The AirPort Expresses could certainly be used to extend your WiFi and would be much better than so called boosters. Boosters if you are lucky can extend the range of your WiFi, but usually at the cost of speed degradation. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for your advice.

One for one against the mesh system.

I'm really not getting on with te extenders - not sure how to use the airport express as extenders as they are not showing on the network.

Do I need to change hub settings?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The way the Apple Airport Expresses work is that they need to be connected via Ethernet cable to the hub at least the first one. Here is the setup guide direct from Apple https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1613/en_US/airport_express_80211n_2nd_gen_setup_guide....

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't have a mesh system, I have a WiFi AP upstairs and another downstairs, devices simply connect to whichever has the strongest signal. 

Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same type of system as @Z92 and it gives excellent WiFi coverage. If you read articles from some of the more business like manufacturers of WiFi equipment, most only recommend a mesh system as a last resort and even then say as many as possible modes should be connected via Ethernet cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both @Tudoe @Z92

What device / access point would you recommend?

I've tried both Wifi blast and TP link 850 range extenders and although the TP link ones were better than the wifi blast they are still not stable enough with multiple drop outs / weak signals for no obvious reason.

Very frustrating as 3 of us are trying to WFH.

thanks for your advice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Its horses for courses. Mesh v WAP is a non-argument in my book both are excellent ways of getting full wifi coverage and both have pro's and cons - and I have neither 🙂

I have an Airport Extreme router near the Hub -and like "an1063" I used my 2 spare Expresses to sort my wifi out. I have one downstairs in the front room (to help the 2nd V6) and one upstairs for wifi coverage there (another V6 on the 5GHz band sorted). And it works fine for me.

They arent connected by ethernet they are just plugged in and extending the Extreme's signal - but they do it well and I am not changing until something fails !

Its a while ago... but I think I pinhole reset the 2 Expresses and set them up to "connect by DHCP", "Extend a wireless network" (the one from your router) & in "Router off Bridge mode".

Just give it a go.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Legend
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My personal recommendation would be, Unifi Lite Access Point, Unifi AC Pro Access Point or Unifi nanoHD Access Point. All these are Ubiquiti equipment, ordered in price and if you really wish they also support being used as a mesh, that is the uplink could be WiFi, but Ethernet cable is always best. 

Tudor
0 Kudos