Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Extending network to garden building

Hi, we have built a log cabin at the end of the garden. Approximately 30 metres from the house and the existing hub3.

I have run an Ethernet cable from the house to the garden as the WiFi gets about 30mbps and the powerline adapters only about 10mbps. 
What I’m trying to do is create WiFi in the cabin. 
can I just buy a WiFi router and connect it to the Ethernet cable which it turn connects to the hub3 in the back room, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any responses 

Regards

David

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending network to garden building

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do.

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yup, just be sure to configure the new router as an access point or bridge, rather than a router, else you’ll end up with two lan networks and, depending on the configuration of your hub and the configuration of the new router, potential conflicts if their lan networks overlap. 

you’d also have to deal with double nat, which can be a pain in the neck. 

best bet is probably just buying a wireless access point rather than a router, but most/all routers will have the option to operate as an access point

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can buy a new router or use an old ISP router if you have one lying around. Google "use old router as wifi access point" for directions. Takes about 5 minutes to set it all up.

Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You do NOT need a router, if it’s just WiFi you just need a Wireless Access Point. If you also need Ethernet connections a cheap 5 port network switch would suit you fine, about £10-£15.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Or you can get a WAP with inbuilt ethernet ports (so no need for a switch) this is a good one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

Many will argue you should separate the two functions as if one fails you dont need to change the other - hard to disagree with that - but a combined unit like this is neater, less ugly and takes up only one electrical plug socket 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos