Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Extending my Wi-Fi range

Hi  all I just wanted to ask a question about extending my Wi-Fi range I have virgin media hub three and cat5 Cable to some of my rooms around the house.

I have extended one room by using a Rueter and use the same address as my virgin hub but it seems to have a conflict a little bit if I’m in the middle my Wi-Fi tried to get between the two. I was thinking of purchasing a mesh system or  A Powerline extender so I can use the whole house with Wi-Fi.

Any suggestions would be appreciated considering I have CAT5 cables throughout the house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending my Wi-Fi range

Do you mean Cat5 or are they really Cat5e? Makes a big difference...

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat5_vs_Cat5e

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have Ethernet cables through the house, all you need to do is put one or even two WAPs at the end of the cables. The Ubiquiti ones I use even have a spare RJ45 socket on them so you can attach one wired device or even a network switch. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thank you for your reply, I put the cables in myself I seem to remember they were actually cat6 cables with RJ 45  sockets that I patching using a 10 switch system netgear.

Thanks Nick 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor 

you mean I should use a  Ubiquiti access point? Which one are you using? Do I need POE?

thanks for your help 

nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I currently have 2 Unifi AP AC Pros. They came with PoE adapters, although I use mine with Unifi PoE switches that also power cameras and Raspberry Pi’s. There are now later, smaller models available. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tudor is correct of course - but remember the VM Hubs dont dish out POE so you would need to get an "injector". However, although that is convenient you can also just plug (most of them) straight into a powersocket - and get the signal from the Cat6 connection.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor, your information is very useful. 

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John l will take a look at my power options. 

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos