Menu
simontaylor
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Extending in Newbuild house

Hello

I have an existing VM install but want to move the router to a new location. This will involve a new cable from the VM wall box outside to the new spot. My Questions are:

With the build not yet finished I dont want to get an Engineer out to run a new link yet, but have the chance now to hide the cables. Can I simply run my own Coax from the new location to the wall box and terminate myself when I need to.. or leave in situ for an Engineer to terminate later. 

Is RG6U Coax good for the job

Thanks

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending in Newbuild house

You'll need VM to supply the coax as part of your T&Cs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Standard advice is no not use any 3d party coax it will bork the network. The best thing to do is to install smooth conduit tubing between the two points you want connecting and instal pull ropes (strong string!) in inside it so that VM can simply pull their correct cables through at install time

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's always worth installing conduit anyway so if you ever change providers you can change the cabling easily.

0 Kudos
simontaylor
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for you replies.

Conduit being installed as I type.

Regards

0 Kudos