Menu
service1920
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Extending Wifi signal to garage

I am currently converting the Garage into an office and need to deliver the Wifi network into it.

There is currently NO wifi signal in the garage but I have power from the house. Therefore rather than a "boost" to a weak signal I need to extend the wifi there.

I have the PowerLine PL1000 in the rooms in the house for the Tivo and I see there is a possibility to buy a wireless version but I can only find it for approx £120 and with a european plug so if the network is being delivered over the electic circuit a EU to UK converter is bound not to help...

Thoughts please on the best options to establish the Wifi in my Garage.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending Wifi signal to garage

doesn't have to be the same make, though you would need to give it it's own ethernet feed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-PH5-Powerline-Extender-Streaming/dp/B0746HVPMC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid...

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Best by far is an Ethernet cable. Use external cable if the garage is detached.

Powerline is second best, might work well or badly, you won't know until you try. One option is this denovo with WiFi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=c...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
service1920
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your prompt response. So do you mean by "ethernet feed" that I would have to use one of the LAN ports on the router to "create" another WLAN in the house (specific to the garage WLAN) and then use the Wifi adapter in the garage as its access point ?

Essentially the same set up as the powerline I have now but an additional one ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you would extend your LAN to the garage by using another electrical circuit.

BTW, you don't have to use Powerline WiFi as you can install regular adapters and connect a wireless access point in the garage (good option if you prefer a particular WAP product).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection