Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Extending Hub4 using a second Wi-fi ‘device’

Hi folks, been reading a few posts recently about people extending range. Mostly it seems to be done by turning the Hub4 to modem mode and then adding other hardware like a separate router. 

I don’t want to add a router or any other hardware near my Hub4 (too any cables already around that tv area and no appetite to have more boxes in that room)  

Does anyone know if this scenario will work?

- I have an Ethernet cable under the house that goes a long way to the furthest away corner and currently connects to a Win 10 PC for 1Gb service  

- the Hub4 is working as a router so doing Wi-fi duties fine everywhere in the house part from that furthest away room  

- I’d rather leave the Hub4 doing it’s own thing and providing the family with Wi-fi  

- I’d like to create a separate Wi-fi ‘network’ (for want of a better term) or an extension of the current one that I can get more than 9Mb downloads from in that far away location, in addition to that wired Ethernet connection that is there —- so can I take that Ethernet cable, attach it to ‘something else’ and then still put an Ethernet cable from that ‘something else’ to the PC, as well as provide a localized Wi-fi (for devices like iPhone/iPad) at the same time?

Hoping this question makes sense.....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extending Hub4 using a second Wi-fi ‘device’

add a gigabit network switch and then you can connect the pc to the switch anda wireless access point to the switch

gigabit switches cost about £20 and will give you more ports at the far point to connect anything you like

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey. Thanks !!

So I can plug this in to that Ethernet cable (I got one of these years ago for the previous setup but never managed to get anything working through it, but can try again easily enough. 
So I’d I stick an AP in to that switch as well (I have an old AC3200 router .... just plug that in and configure it as an AP only? 
whihc might mean I’ve got all the kit I need already. 

Any ‘gotchas’ I should watch out die doing this that aren’t obvious to the uninitiated?

thanks folks !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

pretty much. Make sure the AC3200 is in AP mode and not router mode.
Switches just work. Make sure its gigabit and not 10/100 though

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just make sure that the other router isn’t t running a dhcp server.. other than that it should be as you say, very straight forward 😉

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for these super fast replies everyone. Appreciated. 
Just had one thought - will the AP in the other room then have it’s own wireless network ID ?

or does it pick up the original Hub4 one? 

Testing my network understanding of multiple
 bits of kit now !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

Just make sure that the other router isn’t t running a dhcp server.. other than that it should be as you say, very straight forward 😉

Ahhhhhhhhh. Errrrrrr.  I’ve not configured the Hub4 specially in any way. Does that mean they default to being dhcp servers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Right off to spare room with gigabit switch and old router ..... let’s see what happens. 

0 Kudos