Menu
Foxtrot_Ozcar
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Extended Ethernet cable cat6a or7

I'm looking to run a network cable from my V6 box about 80m out to a garden building to run PlayStation streaming. Would Cat6a be ok or Cat7 be better?

Thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extended Ethernet cable cat6a or7

Either should be fine, just make sure it’s outdoor rated. Also, anecdotal reports from this forum suggest that the hub doesn’t like long ethernet runs, so be prepared to buy a cheap switch too 😉

paultechy
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

doubt you would need 100gbps that cat7 can do, I would stick with cat6 and would only need to go cat6a if need 10gpbs

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, Cat6 will be fine, but I would install two cables for redundancy purposes. The cable itself is extremely cheap and having to do all the work again in the future could cost a lot. When I flood wired my house I made sure every room had 4 cables to it from the patch panel using 2 diverse routes.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

good advice here so i'll add a pointless post as we all know what you meant but...
I'd connect it to the Hub not the V6 box 😛

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos