cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposed and unprotecte

alanmalarkey
Joining in
  • Somewhat surprised to dig up external unprotected cable in flower bed and seems to enter border of lawn at only 2cm below surface. Is this normal? 16887292139784577506585708474873.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

@alanmalarkey wrote:
  •  at only 2cm below surface. Is this normal? 

It's what they tend to do, yes.

VM's own website indicates 1 to 6 inches below the surface - see here 

When I worked in the industry we aimed for a minimum of 300mm, preferably 450mm, with armored cable or duct - so over a spades depth and so on - VM don't do that as it's considered too expensive to do.

When they installed here I pressed them to put it deeper than they intended, and use green conduit.  Their main response was they were only on site for 20 minutes maximum.  I had considered digging a deeper trench myself but they turned up earlier.

See what you can get VM to do about it... Good luck...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alanmalarkey, 

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get this exposed wire looked at, I am sorry it's been buried a little shallow 😥 I would be more than happy to look into this for you!

Just to confirm, is this on your property? 

Thanks!

Megan_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have presumably tracked the cable to its end to identify it as VM's. Hard to scale from the photo but it looks more like electrical power than data/comm's cable.

Thanks, but it is the data,line from the street

g0akc
Problem sorter

@alanmalarkey wrote:
  •  at only 2cm below surface. Is this normal? 

It's what they tend to do, yes.

VM's own website indicates 1 to 6 inches below the surface - see here 

When I worked in the industry we aimed for a minimum of 300mm, preferably 450mm, with armored cable or duct - so over a spades depth and so on - VM don't do that as it's considered too expensive to do.

When they installed here I pressed them to put it deeper than they intended, and use green conduit.  Their main response was they were only on site for 20 minutes maximum.  I had considered digging a deeper trench myself but they turned up earlier.

See what you can get VM to do about it... Good luck...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Many thanks, probably cheaper to fix cable breaks rather than protect them, but maybe they would charge if I cut it with a spade, they have offered to look at it 

Yes, in my front garden, comes through a boundary wall an runs under lawn to house wall. Do you have a minimum depth requirement and why don’t you run through a protective conduit?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The majority of installations were done before Virgin Media came into existence with differing standards and budgets.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection