cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exhausted all normal help options

Kingcoma
Joining in

For over a month I have had disconnections throughout the day, and have tried to troubleshoot the cause, neighbour's who also have Virgin Broadband have not experienced the same issues. This past week has been far worse with my connection down for hours, this now affects my ability to earn an income. I have determined it is not my 3rd party router (I use my hub 3 in modem mode) I have gone through the help service on mobile twice and received nonsense replies, was told to reset my router after a 40 minute discussion where the help person told me they were sending 'the signals to my hub from their Einstein pad', it sounded like children's cartoon science.. I was then told to reset my router again in a week's time to make sure 'the signals' arrived. As I expected the problem persists. Now I am a bit stuck, as far as I can tell it must be an issue with my Hub3 as it is the last remaining variable but as I know I cannot rely on Virgin's regular help channels I have to come here and ask how on earth I can get a replacement Hub3

15 REPLIES 15

lotharmat
Community elder
I think if you are relying on BB for an income; you should invest in a business connection that has account managers and SLAs - Residential has none of this! (or at least get a back-up line / 4/5g router)

Post up your hub stats, let's see if we can spot what the problem is!
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you will likely need to click the 'post' button again).

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi there thankyou for the quick reply, will grab the info you need shortly!

Kingcoma_0-1631526519463.png

Kingcoma_1-1631526538764.pngKingcoma_2-1631526553568.png

Kingcoma_3-1631526567739.png

Kingcoma_4-1631526581251.png

Kingcoma_5-1631526591446.png

Kingcoma_6-1631526604379.png

Kingcoma_7-1631526614935.png

Kingcoma_8-1631526627226.png

Kingcoma_9-1631526636183.png

Kingcoma_10-1631526652419.png

Kingcoma_11-1631526665750.pngKingcoma_12-1631526681099.png

Kingcoma_13-1631526691642.png

Alot of pics there but wanted to be thorough, currently i have internet access. I am completely open to being wrong about it being a HUB fault btw, my troubleshooting can only go so far, Hope you can help!

I would suggest it is the actual cable or connection rather than the hub!

Looks like massive upstream problems - you only have one channel - should be 4!

VM would need to book a tech visit!

They'll be along presently!

So an upstream problem would cause a complete disconnect?

Regarding the Business account option, it is an annoying situation of timing and covid.

Normally I would be in a client's office using their connection, and my home broadband was great til a few months ago, right at the same time my clients were throwing 'back to office' dates at me 😞

again, thank you for swift replies, has taken a lot of anxiety off!

Totally - The hub uses the upstream channels to 'range' (get the best channels) if there is a bad connection between the hub and CMTS (cabinet) then the hub can drop all channels and try and renegotiate them all - takes about 5 minutes and looks to all intents and purposes a reboot of the hub!

It may be worth calling it in on 150 (or 0345 454 111 from a non VM phone) - As the connection is so poor - they *should* have trouble fobbing you off and actually book a tech visit!

Follow this procedure:
Call it in
It'll ask you to reboot the hub (as you already have done - don't)
You will then be cut off
Wait a couple of minutes
Call 150 again - report a broadband fault - The system will recognise that you called before and transfer you to a person!

Ok! I will be strong 🤣

Lolz! - You got this!!!!! I believe in you!!

(Thanks - that made me smile!!)

I have been cut off twice now.. whilst being told to 'wait while they check something', I will persist, I imagine this is my only option?