Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet to wireless

we have laid a Cat6 cable wired into our summer house which is connected to the Virgin hub in the living room. The internet works perfectly using the ethernet cable but I would like to convert this connection to a wireless connection. Does anyone know how I can do this? Any advice would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet to wireless

Spend £35 on a TP-Link Archer C50, set it to "access point" mode, and connect to the end of the ethernet cable.  Then add the C50's wifi network to your devices and they should all connect automatically.  That the sort of thing you had in mind?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

go with 1Gb ports
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=sr_1_66?dchild=1&key...

Your wireless will be so much better you might get another as a router with the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to what Andruser has recommended I would add in a Gigabit capable >> simple switch << to the end of the cable then connect the TP-Link to the switch to give you several gigabit enabled ethernet ports.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@legacy1 wrote:

go with 1Gb ports
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=sr_1_66?dchild=1&key...

Your wireless will be so much better you might get another as a router with the hub in modem mode.

Now that IS a good deal !  £37 with x4 GB ethernet ports (so no switch required) and MU-MIMO..

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos