Menu
D-lloyd
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet speed slower than 5GHZ

I have recently upgraded my Internet to the new 500mb speed, however I am receiving around these speeds on my mobile and iPad in my property on the 5GHZ network.  However on my computer which is only 2 years old when this is connected via a Cat 6 cable I am only receiving a speed of less than 200mbs and some days less than that.  I have also tried using my laptop connected via ethernet cat 6 cable and still achieving the same speed.  I have completed numerous reset's on the hub, computer and even tried to split the networks but still the same results, I am also receiving slow speeds on the 2.4GHZ of less than 100mbs no matter which device I use.  I did try and connect my pc and laptop via wireless on the 5GHZ network however this only achieves a speed of less than 200mbs which would suggest that maybe there is something on the pc that could be limiting the speed.   

When I go to the network status in windows it shows 1gbs speed however all the speeds above are from speed tests which I have run on speedtest.net.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet speed slower than 5GHZ

Boot PC in safe mode with networking and do a speed test.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@D-lloyd wrote:

I have recently upgraded my Internet to the new 500mb speed, however I am receiving around these speeds on my mobile and iPad in my property on the 5GHZ network.  However on my computer which is only 2 years old when this is connected via a Cat 6 cable I am only receiving a speed of less than 200mbs and some days less than that.  I have also tried using my laptop connected via ethernet cat 6 cable and still achieving the same speed.  I have completed numerous reset's on the hub, computer and even tried to split the networks but still the same results, I am also receiving slow speeds on the 2.4GHZ of less than 100mbs no matter which device I use.  I did try and connect my pc and laptop via wireless on the 5GHZ network however this only achieves a speed of less than 200mbs which would suggest that maybe there is something on the pc that could be limiting the speed.   

When I go to the network status in windows it shows 1gbs speed however all the speeds above are from speed tests which I have run on speedtest.net.

2.4Ghz won't be anywhere near 500Mbps based on the tech limitations (72Mbps or 144Mbps connection speed IIRC).

If multiple wired devices are slower than expected it could be an issue with the HUB.

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Something's not right there, as wired should beat wireless every time, because it doesn't suffer from the various things that affect Wi-Fi performance. I don't know what the issue is with your Super Hub though.

As has already been said about the 2.4 GHz, don't expect to see high connection speeds on that standard.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@D-lloyd wrote:

Can you try other wired devices?

What spec is the laptop ?

latest drivers installed?

There are various websites with suggestions for improving Ethernet throughput (avoid the ‘snake oil’ adverts though).

2.4GHz performance sounds about right - as already mentioned there’s a limit (150 real world for 802.11n I recall)

check the capability of all the nics.   Speeds on 5GHz and wired suggest a performance issue with the laptop.  Go though Windows settings.

look at using iperf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos