Menu
Sautoy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet flaky

I have 3 ethernet connections from the hub3 that connect via cat 6 cables to 3 separate wifi access points in my house. The 3 cat 6 cables run from the hub through a wall, externally around the house and then back into separate rooms. The only point in common for these is the connection at the hub. The 3 cables are completely physically separate.

Everything had worked perfectly for a year or so.

At the weekend the access points (all of them at the same time) would lose the connection, find the connection again, lose the connection, find the connection. Working for an hour, down for 10 minutes, working for 2 hours, down for 15 minutes etc. Wifi on the hub3 was working at all times. 

Must be the ethernet board in the hub3, right? Well, I happened to have a spare hub3 at home and connected this yesterday - and got Virgin to activate it. Same result.

Virgin are sending another hub3 in the post and I know that I can try modem mode and use a spare router I have in place of the hub3 wifi but I am puzzled about this. 

Any ideas??

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet flaky

got a switch you can test with? plug the APs into the switch and the switch into the hub?

Whilst the cables are all physically separate, i assume that they all leave the hub through the same hole in the wall (even if they then take different routes to the three areas of the house they terminate in...) is it possible they've taken a knock where they exit the house? or maybe an issue with the bend radius on the cable? clutching at straws here, obviously, and i'd probably be looking at the hub as the prime culprit too - there are reports of ethernet ports failing on hubs - strange that it carried over to your spare though..  

0 Kudos
Sautoy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'll try a switch and see if that makes a difference.

Yes, the cables exit the house through the same hole so I guess there could be an issue there, I'll have a look - but hard to understand how it could affect all 3 cables at the same time and only intermittently.

All been working fine this morning (kiss of death comment !!), however.

Thanks for the ideas.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you are running AP's, can you not disable the wifi on the Hub?  It may be interfering with the AP's wifi causing disconnections?

0 Kudos
Sautoy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Possibly, but I don't think it's that.

They are all on different channels and SSIDs and quite far from the hub. They all fail and come back at the same time as well.

0 Kudos