Menu
Dziewica
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet does't work (wifi works)

After 5 years my ethernet stopped working. Never had problem with it before. I tried everything - different styles of hub reset (rf in, rf out, pin hole 40 or 60s, mains). I tried two cables and 3 computers. Always the same - unidentified network.

DHCP is auto - anyway I haven't changed anything. It just stopped working 2 days ago and never came back again. I even reinstalled my motherboard drivers. Still the same. I am losing my energy. I am paying 40 pounds for internet only and it does not even work :I I plugged my phone via usb and i am thethering net to my PC. 

Before posting this I have been digging net for all resets prossible and I i don't know what is the next step.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ethernet does't work (wifi works)

What Hub model is it and what are the lights on it doing/showing?

Silly question - I assume you have tried new Cta5e/6/7 cables - old ones can and do fail 🙂

Ethernet port failures on Hubs. are reported on here from time to time. You can check the ports and cables out by plugging both ends into the hub. The LEDs on the ethernt sockets should flash, if so you have working ports and a good cable.

If you have no connection you will need to call in and see what they say.

Also... Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Dziewica
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So it turned out to be the cable. 2 died, just like that. I do not plug them in and out. I found some short, very old cable (more than 10yo) and it works fine. o.O

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. I would not persevere with 10 year old cables - jut get some new ones - Cat7 are higher spec with better shielding from "interference" - Some Cat6 ones have that too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some of my cables are over 15 years old and are Cat5, they are good quality AT&T ones and still working fine at 1G.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm still using the Cat5e cable I got with the NTL modem back in 2007.  The other poundshop (5M/£1) cables I bought are still working well.  I also have some from an old office installation which hasn't been used/tested yet.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a drawer full of good old ones that work and a garden full of ones that dont - except for holding plants to trellises that is

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos