Menu
MLB1
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection

I have been with Virgin media for a couple of weeks. Although the WiFi is better than what I had before, I would like to connect via Ethernet sometimes, especially on video calls for work. I bought a new Ethernet cable and plugged it into the Virgin router and my laptop but it says there is not connection (I turned off the laptop's WiFI). Please help. thanks.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection

have you tried a different cable to confirm it's not faulty?
have you confirmed the ethernet port on your laptop is actually working?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
MLB1
Settling in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I was using the Ethernet port on my laptop with my old router and always use it when I am allowed into the office to get the best connection, so pretty sure it's working ok. the cable - I just bought a brand new one...it wasn't the most expensive on Amazon but it had lots of happy users. Any other suggestions or are you saying it should work?

0 Kudos
MLB1
Settling in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just double checked using the old Ethernet cable that worked previously with my old router. No connection with that either. So it can't be my laptop or the cable that is the problem. It must be the router - how do I get hold of Virgin Media to get them to sort it for me please?
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried other ports on the Hub?  If you have set it to modem mode only one will work.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@MLB1 wrote:
I just double checked using the old Ethernet cable that worked previously with my old router. No connection with that either. So it can't be my laptop or the cable that is the problem.

well we haven't confirmed that unless you can test your laptop via ethernet right now on something else

0 Kudos
MLB1
Settling in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Really grateful for your help. I haven't touched the router except to plug in the Ethernet - I have tried two of the ports, should I try each of them in turn? The was installed by the engineer - what 'mode' would it have been installed in and how to do I change it to a mode that will enable both Ethernet for me and WiFi for my son?

thanks.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

modem modem is only used if you have a seperate router of your own - it doesn't sound like you do.
therefore in normal mode all 4 ethernet ports should work.

when you connect the cable, does the led light on the port light up?
have you tried rebooting the hub?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can check the ports and cable out by plugging both ends into the hub. The LEDs on the RJ45 sockets should flash, if so you have working ports and a good cable. If not, I suggest a “pin hole” reset of the VM hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos